crown moulding install

the previous owner of my circa 1900's home put a narrow cove crown moulding up after he redrywalled the ceiling. that moulding is removed and i am about to put up wide crown moulding. is a top and bottom backer board advisable to eliminate the issues around stud finding? or is it not worth the hassle? if so are the top / bottom backer boards extended beyond the moulding edges? if they extend should i run the exposed backer boards through my router to give it a profile? any comments would be helpful - although i'm a handy fellow i've never attempted costly crown moulding installs.

ty

Reply to
robson

Use a stud finder on the drywall, cheap... easy. Mark the stud locations where the crown moulding will hide them

Reply to
sleepdog

Consider using construction glue to hold the new molding.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Stud-finding is not a big-deal, as long as you have enough of them to nail to. Another thing to watch out for is to know exactly where your electrical cables run so you can avoid hitting them with a nail. Most moderns houses have predictable wiring, but who knows in your case.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

" Consider using construction glue to hold the new molding."

Do you realize how narrow a moulding area you'd actually have to apply construction adhesive to (I'm talking about the molding face that actually contacts the wall/ceiling), assuming you were then able to blindly find studs to nail into in order to adequately the molding in place until the adhesive dried?

In crown applications on similar vintage homes as the OP, I've nailed/glued strapping to the ceilings and walls. The nails penetrate the lathe and hold the strapping in place until the adhesive dries. Following that, there's always a solid surface to then nail into. Just be sure not to place the strapping too close to any corner as it would present problems when it was time to apply the molding.

Reply to
Jim Conway

Backer is a real good idea on an old house. Finding the studs is not a problem. The waves and bows of the ceiling and walls make installation difficult. With the backers you can strengthen everything out better. Yes put a profile on the backer but if your walls are really bowed put up the backer with out a profile and install a smaller trim piece under it. This will help hide any irregularities.

Reply to
calhoun