crown moulding

I have doors in the living and dining rooms whose top casing extends to the ceiling. I would like to put crown moulding in these rooms. Any suggestions on how to do this and make it look good? I.e., if the casing is left in place the crown moulding which is intalled at an angle will stick out beyond the top moulding (it is "standard" colonial casing). I would prefer not to have to lower the height of the doors which is an obvious solution).

How about removing the existing molding at the top of the door and use one that is not as wide as to allow the crown moulding to go above it?

h wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Reply to
G Henslee

Frankly I can't imagine this looking good no matter how you do it. Why is the door casing up to the ceiling? Low ceilings? Tall doors? Very high casing?

Reply to
John/Charleston