Crown molding

I'm attempting to install crown molding in several rooms. The first room went fine. Now in the bathroom and master bedroom there are some ceiling areas that are lower than others (lets say dips). This is preventing the two ends of the board from matching up with the adjacent pieces of molding.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this problem? Thought about digging the ceiling drywall out where it's low (I suspect the finish product would'nt look very good). Also thought about filing down the molding to match the undesirable contour of the ceiling; this would probably be fairly time consuming.
Thanks for any incite...
Just caulk the gap ,rarely are walls even .
How far out of line? Are you planning to paint or stain the molding?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
How far out of line? Are you planning to paint or stain the molding?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I'm painting the molding (white). The dip is over 1/4 inch on a 3.5' molding run. I think I'm going to lower all molding to the lowest point in the room, then caulk the top all the way around. Unless you have a better option.
Thanks/Lew

Depending on the molding and the room, I would consider using what flex there may be in the molding and/or some scribing and sanding, along with some caulk if you are painting it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Lew) wrote:

I think this is why someone invented border wallpaper ;)
Since you're intent on putting up a big mess of wood along your ceiling anyway, how about if you drop the molding line down a few inches (thereby eliminating your "dip" problem), valance the molding out a few inches, install some rope lighting into the valance, and set up the rope lights on a dimmer switch? Makes for some pretty slick atmosphere lighting since the rope light shines upward.
AJS

hold the moulding up to the ceiling, scribe the top and belt sand it down to the line.
When ceilings are out of whack we install the moulding down about one eighth inch from ceiling.
Lew wrote:

You are just to stupid to be doing this kind of...... oh.. you meant "INSIGHT". Never mind...
If the uneven-ness is small enough, you just caulk the gap, If it's too big for that, you tack the molding in place, and run a scribe along the upper edge, and trim (or grind) the molding to match, OR use built-up molding with the uppermost bit bent to match.
Yep..I am a pretty dumb guy...thanks for imparting you knowledge on me...I need all I can get.....

Re "Stupid":
You are just to stupid to be doing this kind of...... oh.. > you meant "INSIGHT". Never mind...
The correct form is "too stupid". Now, who's stupid? Hmmm?