Critter ID help needed

My wife's flower garden has been invaded by some critters I need help identifying. The easiest way to describe it is: a four inch, black furry hotdog with legs. Seriously! It doesn't move too quick, runs from the garden to the grass when she approaches but doesn't run too far. It's built very low to the ground. Like I said, a hotdog with short legs.
Thanks!

A mole?

dickm
it is a vole. use a mouse trap with peanut butter as bait.

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:18:07 -0400, "Steven"
:) it is a vole. use a mouse trap with peanut butter as bait.
If you use a snap trap outdoors, try to protect it with bricks or fire wood to keep non target animals such as birds or pets from getting snapped. The rodents will still find it.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
A Vole it is! Thank you. Never even heard of that before.

From what I have now read about the vole, it doesn't seem destructive. Any reason to not live and let live?

:) From what I have now read about the vole, it doesn't seem destructive. Any :) reason to not live and let live?
The can cause damage to lawn gardens/small trees, consume edibles in the garden damage lawns and spread fleas/ticks. They usually aren't a problem but when their numbers grow in a short time they can become an issue.