Critique / suggestions on design of PVC practice net

I want to build a backstop (frontstop?) out of PVC and netting to use in the back yard to practice golf shots. I would appreciate any comments on suggestions on my basic design.

It will be a 3-piece unit: a back and two sides. The back will be about 10' x 10'. The sides will be about 5' deep at the bottom. The top may be less.

The sides will attach to the back in such a way that they can easily fold flat (inward) so that the whole thing can be leaned against a garage or side of the house to get it out of the way without having to take it apart.

I am planning on making the frame out of PVC.

Here are a few questions:

  1. What diameter pipe do I need for a 10x10 frame that will be sturdy enough to support a net? The net probably weighs less than 10 lbs. Will 2" pipe be strong enough? 3"?

  1. For storage, it would be nice to have pipes shorter than 10'. Will two 5' pipes with some type of fitting be subnstantially weaker than one 10' pipe? The fitting must come apart. What type of fitting is best?

  2. I plan to use T-fittings to attach the side frames to the back frame. I will use a T-fitting that will slide freely on the vertical poles on the back frame. If I am using 3" pipe, is there a T-fitting that will slide freely on a 3" pipe without binding or wobbling?

  1. Can I get away with just three poles for the sides or will I need a complete 4-pole frame for stability?

Thanks

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

I just got back from the hardware store. They don't sell a T-fitting that will allow a pipe to go all the way through. It has a stop just before the T to keep the two ends of the straight path from touching and blocking the flow down the T.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to file or bore out the inside of the T-fitting to allow one pipe to go all the way through and slide fairly easily.

I also found a couple of online PVC manufacturers. I'll contact them on Monday.

Prof Wonmug

How about a V shape? The next size up as a sleve to go in the ground.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Google is your friend.

took me 30 seconds to find that the easiest and cheapest way to make a strong net is to use steel scaffolding sections. You can use damaged sections as the scaffolding strength is far in excess of your needs. That means you can probably put it up cheap. Put a wanted ad on Craigslist. You'd be surprised how many people have old sections of scaffolding laying around from old building projects.

RicodJour