Crimping and arthritis

Page 3 of 3
philo wrote:

I'm not a big Harbor Freight fan but I bought an electric impact wrench for another job that saved my butt with one of those deals. If I absolutely have to have a tire shop put a tire on, the first thing I do when I get home is take it off and put it back on with the breaker bar I carry and a reasonable torque. My educated fingers say I use about 80 ft-lbs and I've never had a tire fall off.
<stuff snipped>

Wow, you must have *really* thick fingernails. Oh, wait, you mean hammering type nails. (-:

NOW you tell me!!! Where were you when I was clicking "Buy it now?" I'll bet that would work because what I need most is increased leverage. Oh well, a new $20 toy isn't too much of a burden to bare. (-: If it doesn't work out, your idea is next up on the list.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

If you're like me, having the terminal lightly held in the ratcheting cromper while you manuever the handles with be worth the 20. Every time I try something like that I wish I had another pair of hands.

Especially when the ones you've got are failure prone. Today I dropped my favorite pair of tweezers on the tile floor, mangling the tip beyond repair. It just "jumped" out of my hand. )-:
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>
> As I get older and do less and less "stuff" I find I am reluctant to buy a

There's no wrist replacement surgery I know of. Docs say clearances are so tight that surgery can make things worse because there's very little room for scar tissue to form without impeding function.
Most of the orthos say (of my case) it's cumulative wear and tear and the price of typing at 120wpm for many years. They say they are seeing similar problems at much earlier ages in kids that play video games 16 hours a ay. )-; I think learning how to type advanced my career more than playing "Call of Duty" will advance that of my teenage neighbor.

Good luck. I understand they are getting better at those. My ex-boss had a THR gone bad and when they do, it's hell on wheels. Sort of. (-:

Speaking of "lost" and "crimper" that's exactly what UPS did to mine. Supposed to arrive Thurday so I check the UPS website where it say "damaged in transit." I check with Amazon who tells me "package refused by customer(!!!)" I tell the Amazon guy that's a little bogus because for as long as I have used Amazon, I've only had to sign for multi-hundred dollar items like TV's.
He goes offline, does some checking, goes to UPS and reads that the driver found just an empty box in the back of the truck and sent that back to Amazon. And Amazon never said boo about the package being returned in email. Shades of the Malaysian government.
A new one should arrive on Monday. I got an extra free month of Prime service, too, but it may turn around to bite me in the end because I was scheduled to renew at the old rate and this could trigger renewal at the more expensive $100 rate. Shoprunner, suspecting Amazon Prime's price increase will incense many customers, offered a nice freebee to steal Amazon customers:
https://www.shoprunner.com/amazon-prime/
BTW, what you do if arthritis hits your hands is every few days, when it gets bad, you go into the read-only mode. Been doing that a lot and I hate it. I also hijacked the old crock pot and use it to make a melted paraffin bath. Alternate soaks in paraffin and ice water sometimes does wonders and other times, nothing.
Got Dragon Dictate to compensate but it's only so-so, I can't watch TV while I type, etc. It misreads what I said often enough to make it a real pain. I am considering an iPhone because it does pretty well with voice recognition and the newer models allege to be designed to be health monitors, too.
Today I got a replacement external USB DVD burner to replace one that's developed an ejection problem. Before arthritis I would have taken it apart on the bench to find out what the problem was (dirt/grease is my guess). Instead, I went to Ebay, punched in my model number, found a nearly identical drive with very little use (looked and *was* much newer than mine because it's got Lightscribe) and swapped it in. Total cost, including shipping, was $20. I can finally use the Lightscribe disks I won at a product demo 5 years ago!
It 'burns' <g> me to spend even that much if I could fix it easily, but at least I can do it at my leisure now and have a still mostly operation spare (it ejects from Explorer, just not the front button).
One funny note to all this, the DVD drive came earlier than expected and on the day the crimpers should have (having one powerful deja vu at the moment that I wrote this all before!). So when I picked up the package that I thought the crimpers were in, it was insanely heavy for a pair of crimpers and I thought "this tool is so heavy I might not even be able to lift it." Turns out it was an external DVD drive, not a crimper.
I still fear that the ratcheting mechanism might not be enough to compensate for weakened hands. We'll see. On Monday. If UPS doesn't bugger it up again. (Actually I suspect the real cause was poor packaging by Amazon, but since I never actually saw the package or wreckage of it, I'll probably never know.)
--
Bobby G.

Ah, but one of the biggest reasons I have any money at all to spend at 60+ is that I always tried to pay as little as the job at hand required for something. Sometimes that's false economy, as when you have to "buy it again" but most times it works out.
Around 2005 I bought 4 Emprex 32" LCD TVs for $300 each, about half the going rate at the time. They turned out to be great investments and though two have failed, it's almost certain it's from bad caps in the power supply. It happened after they gave years of daily service, too.
I dunno about you, but if I can buy something for $300 that normally sells for two or three times that amount and end up being satisfied with its performance, I am a happy camper. I buy a lot of factory refurbs, too, and have always gotten excellent results (Samsung HD camera, Sony stand-alone DVD recorder, Sansa MP3 players, Vizio PC monitor/TV combo, etc).
I bought some repair kits with high quality replacement caps and when I finally clear enough bench space, I will try to revive the two TV's that have gone dark. Unlike a DVD burner that cost $80 new and $20 used, a $300 TV is worth a little repair effort and pain in the hand. My friend with a same sized Mitsubishi had his die a month out of warranty which made me feel even better about my purchase (is that schadenfreude?).
So, given how often I use crimpers (once a month?) I can't see buying the top of the line model *unless* nothing else will do the job for me. That's still a possibility, but we're not there yet.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

The hydraulic crimpers Harbor Freight has for $50-75 depending on sales and coupons work very well. If I recall the die sets included go down to 12ga (yellow) size. The dies are very simple so you can easily make custom ones if needed (I did).
<stuff snipped>

Down to? I work with 18 gauge and some 16 gauge stuff for what I do. (-: While I love the idea of multiplying my weak hand force with hydraulic power, I think it's overkill. Still, I'll take a look at them. Thanks for the suggestion, Pete. I am going to HF tomorrow to get some sale items.
What I really want is the loader that Ripley used in Aliens. Can you imagine doing home demolition with one of those bad boys?
--
Bobby G.