Crickets

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy creatures prevailing. My last resort was to go to a pet store and purchase some Geckos, let them loose in the back yard, and (hopefully) sleep in silence. The guy at the pet store said this was a terrible idea. He said the Geckos would run away. If they have a plentiful amount of food, why would they leave. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would be forever in your debt...

Thank you.

Reply to
Jay

Have you experimented with dispersing bait pellets in and around your yard? There's an abundance of different brands available. Usually the same products that work for ants and roaches also work for crickets.

Reply to
blessed style

Don't know where you live, but around here (TX), when it starts getting cool, the crickets seem to congregate around buildings (homes, stores, anything), I suppose to stay warm. When you kill the ones you have, a new crop will come in that very night.

There doesn't seem to be any way to handle them in the huge numbers, or else stores would be doing so. Sometimes they are so thick on sidewalks that they are dangerously slippery.

Probably just going to have to live with it, and soon they will go away.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Got me thinking. Crickets are a pain this time of year here too but have been far less so this year. I've also noted more snakes around the property and a family of skunks. I think they are helping to keep the crickets down.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

run fan or other white noise generatort in bedroom, and you wouldnt be able to hear the crickets:)

This also works for neighbors barking dogs and other disturbances!

Reply to
hallerb

Cut down on the outdoor lighting can help.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

. More damn chemical sprays etc.that end up in our water supplies! If one doesn't like the natural conditions prevailing in an area why live there?

As humans we are always trying to change the world around us, rather than fit in! Shakespeare was right, back in the Middle Ages, when, long before the widespread use of chemical pollutants he wrote "Lord, what fools these mortals be". (Puck. In Midsummer Night's Dream).

Bats are said to be a good way of keeping down the mosquitoes and other insects. Maybe crickets would be a tasty morsel to them if you could encourage a few to live in the area by providing a 'bat house' For which have a design somewhere.

Wasps too control other insects such as mosquitoes. We probably attack them too?

PS. We don't have Crickets, or Lightning Bugs, or that many insects here. Too cool. There are a few (very few) grass hoppers during our shortish summer. So must admit that not aware how much a problem the noise must be. But surely in a properly insulated house with windows closed etc. the noise would not be noticeable? My neighbour keeps his transport truck, with air brakes and all the works, less than some 100 feet from my bedroom and never hear him start and drive off around 5.00 AM each morning! Although must admit did hear another neighbour mowing with a

3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton some 15 feet from bedroom one morning around 7.00 AM!.
Reply to
terry

You may very well have a lot of crickets but have you ever heard of tinnitus?

Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out did I realize what I was hearing.

Reply to
Dan Espen

They work very well unless you have high pitched yappers in the neighborhood. Believe me, I know. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

"Bob" wrote in news:ds2Mi.3471$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.lga:

Let a monster loose in your yard. Ever notice in the movies that sounds stop when a monster appears?

Reply to
Mr.Spock

I, too, sometimes yearn for the good old days. Then I think: dentistry.

Reply to
HeyBub

My wife bought a sound generator for the bedroom, one of the choices is "chirping crickets". I like the "rushing stream" sound myself or "ocean waves", but she plays the cricket one a lot and I have no say in the matter since she's the one with insomnia. The thing does work though.

Reply to
RickH

As a substitute, try a Paratroopers Clicker "Cricket". *

(..used by paratroopers to identify each other in enemy territory.)

When she falls asleep go back too your waves :)

-- Oren

Oren

Limit the critters, by limiting what you bring from the nursery/landscape centers.

After some landscape years ago; using large bark mulch, we unknowingly brought the critters home.

Crickets, by my estimate was an invasion of thousands(?). Crickets all over a block wall one night when the wife turned a patio light on. . (sprayed them right then while I could see them).

One cricket in a bathroom bugs me more than a bunch outside.

-- Oren

Oren

Tinnitus sux.... I've had it as long as I can remember. I'd poke out my eardrums in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a difference.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Noozer

on 10/1/2007 8:30 PM Noozer said the following:

Me too. Mine sounds like a micro electric motor running at top speed. Sometimes it gets louder and there are times when it almost sounds like someone opened a door to it all of a sudden. Fortunately, it is not as irritating as some others have claimed. It appears to be louder in my left ear than the right. I have learned to ignore it so well that sometimes I have to stop and think about it to hear it. I have no problem hearing it when I go to sleep at night, tho.

Reply to
willshak

clipped

I think I have tinnitus also ... not the high-pitch ringing I used to hear once in a while but more like the sound of water running through pipes. Strange part is I only notice it when I am at home. I have excellent hearing, and hubby has not so good, so I can't ask him "what's that noise?" :o) And, no, the water isn't running. If I'm thinking about the noise and go outside, I still hear it so it is "real". I wonder if there is background noise that makes it more noticeable at times....

Reply to
Norminn

Yeah, from what I've read, that won't help.

Ah, fellow suffers. I think it's pretty common.

Google will turn up a lot of info but no cures.

I imagine the people with the steady tone suffer the most. Since I recognized what is going on I've tried to tune out the noise. Also trying to convince myself I like the sound. I like the sound of real ones.

Reply to
Dan Espen