Creator of WD-40 dies

Convair, a unit of General Dynamics, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The product worked so well that employees sneaked WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home.

and

People?s enthusiasm for sending in ideas for using WD-40 mushroomed under Mr. Barry. The uses included preventing squirrels from climbing into a birdhouse; lubricating tuba valves; cleaning ostrich eggs for craft purposes; and freeing a tongue stuck to cold metal.

A bus driver in Asia used WD-40 to remove a python that had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus.

I still use it myself for certain things (not everything: there are better lubricants for some situations, but it's a pretty good GP lube).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Norm Larson is the inventor of WD40. He died 39 years ago.

Tony Sivori

The two greatest inventions in the world WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

Reply to
PatM

Norm Larson is credited with inventing WD-40 in the article about Mr. Barry, who was credited with being very successful at MARKETING WD-40, not creating it.

Reply to
salty

Agreed. However, the title of this thread is "Creator of WD-40 dies" which is unintentionally misleading. Which is why I posted the Wikipedia link to the real inventor of WD-40.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Agreed. The subject line of this thread is incoprrect. I added that the article mentioned in the post metions that fact, and I further clarified Mr. Barry's role.

I think we've covered it now!

Reply to
salty

I dunno...

I took your subject line to be an abbreviation of "Creator of the ubiquitousness of WD-40 dies"

Reply to
HeyBub

Its not misleading. He did die, even if it were 39 yrs ago.

Reply to
JM

I'm sorry. I was daydreaming. Could you go over it one more time?

Reply to
mm

LOL

Reply to
salty

Nope!

Actually, as a "lube" it is so-so but temporary. Whatever lube properties it has mostly dissapear when the carrier fluid evaporates.

The stuff left behind "Pure WD-40" does a VERY good job of displacing moisture.

The temporary "lube" property can be an advantage when you just want to "loosen" something but don't want a permanent oil mess. It can also "wash away" old lube that's gotten dirty or "stiffened up."

Reply to
John Gilmer

Are you sure it wasn't 40 years ago. :-)

Reply to
W. eWatson