Creator of WD-40 dies

See http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/business/22barry1.html (registration probably not required; if it is, use Bugmenot)
And to all those naysayers here (you know--"WD-40 is nothing but crap!"), the article says:
Convair, a unit of General Dynamics, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The product worked so well that employees sneaked WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home.
and
Peoples enthusiasm for sending in ideas for using WD-40 mushroomed under Mr. Barry. The uses included preventing squirrels from climbing into a birdhouse; lubricating tuba valves; cleaning ostrich eggs for craft purposes; and freeing a tongue stuck to cold metal.
A bus driver in Asia used WD-40 to remove a python that had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus.
I still use it myself for certain things (not everything: there are better lubricants for some situations, but it's a pretty good GP lube).

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Norm Larson is the inventor of WD40. He died 39 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Larsen
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Norm Larson is credited with inventing WD-40 in the article about Mr. Barry, who was credited with being very successful at MARKETING WD-40, not creating it.
salty wrote:

Agreed. However, the title of this thread is "Creator of WD-40 dies" which is unintentionally misleading. Which is why I posted the Wikipedia link to the real inventor of WD-40.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Agreed. The subject line of this thread is incoprrect. I added that the article mentioned in the post metions that fact, and I further clarified Mr. Barry's role.
I think we've covered it now! <G>
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:03:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'm sorry. I was daydreaming. Could you go over it one more time?

LOL
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I dunno...
I took your subject line to be an abbreviation of "Creator of the ubiquitousness of WD-40 dies"

Its not misleading. He did die, even if it were 39 yrs ago.
Tony Sivori wrote:

The two greatest inventions in the world WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

Nope!
Actually, as a "lube" it is so-so but temporary. Whatever lube properties it has mostly dissapear when the carrier fluid evaporates.
The stuff left behind "Pure WD-40" does a VERY good job of displacing moisture.
The temporary "lube" property can be an advantage when you just want to "loosen" something but don't want a permanent oil mess. It can also "wash away" old lube that's gotten dirty or "stiffened up."