Creating a boiler room?

In creating a room around the boiler, I'm aware of required clearances and fire rated sheetrock for walls and ceiling. But I've noticed fire doors at the store that have a number of hour ratings.

  1. Anyone know which time-rated door to choose?
  2. Does the boiler room and the (open layout) basement each need a smoke detector for each of these two "rooms"? I know they have to be wired, and if there are two, wired together as well.

I've a single family home in New York.

Thanks for all responses. Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

Best to check local code. I have seen such applications with no fire door, but it is smart to have one. You may also need a CO detector in the boiler room and possibly the other area too. How are you going to handle combustion air? If this is a new boiler with outside air intake, that covers you, otherwise you need a vent in the door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I'm familiar with the minimum venting requirements in the code. Strangely, I just can't find anything on the door rating, or whether smoke/CO detector needed for separate space in such a basement.

Reply to
lakepurdys

True, and I am familiar with minimum venting requirements in the code and for my specific boiler. But strangely, I can't find guidance on the door rating or smoke/CO detector question.

Reply to
millinghill

There are often additional requirements for the ceiling *above* the furnace/boiler. (presumably oil fired hot water heat?)

In the local hospital, I recall a 2 hour rating being a goal (but that's probably overkill in a residential setting)

Check local codes for the detector requirements. Sometimes, what *seems* like common sense is actually disallowed. I think the thinking is that they don't want to have *nuisance* alarms so may discourage use of detectors in garages, furnace rooms, etc.

[We had originally thought of all the places where fire/smoke/CO was LIKELY to exist (kitchen, furnace, water heater, garage, etc.) and discovered that detectors were discouraged in most of these! So, opted for "heat" detectors, instead]
Reply to
Don Y

I doubt a fire rated door is required. The only place I've seen that required is between a garage and the living space. There are houses with furnaces on the same level as the living space and I don't recall any special doors there. Typical boiler is in an unfinished basement, full of all kinds of crap and if the code can live with that, I suspect it can live with one in it's own utility room without a special door. If the boiler uses inside air for combustion, there are ventilation requirements. Like you say, the only way to know for sure is to look up the state and/or local code or go ask.

Reply to
trader_4

What time-rated door to use for the boiler room?

If you can get one with a 2400 hour rating, you'll have over 3 months to escape.

I miss NY.

Reply to
micky