Creating a 220 circuit?

Page 1 of 4
I would like a 220 circuit to use with a 4500 watt heating element.I have two separate 110 circuits in my garage,each on GFCI and each with a 20 amp breaker.Can I run a black wire from each of them,a white wire from one and a ground from the other and create a 220 circuit in a separate receptacle?If so,can I still use these "donor" receptacles as 110s when I am not using this new 220? Thanks
--
Hank

With your limited knowledge of Electrical Circuits, you should not try anything more than flipping a light switch, or plugging in the vacuum cleaner.

I dunno... maybe he could do the world a favor by wiring his complete house and electrocuting himself... :)

No. This will not work. Please don't try.
No offense is intended, but the fact that you asked this question shows that you do not have anywhere near the degree of understanding needed to be safe.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:29:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

See election results for...
1968 1980 1992 1996
...and many more.

There's ALWAYS more than 50 candidates for Miss America.
Have a nice week...
Trent

No, you can't; the idea has about 3 or 4 code violations. If your heater were a little smaller, you could convert one of the circuits to 240v, but if is unlikely your existing wire is large enough handle 4500w even at 240v. Looks like you will be pulling a new cable, or getting a smaller heater.
If you don't want to do that, and already have the heater, you might be able to run it off the 120v circuit. It will only be 1100w, and without knowing more about the heater I can't say if it will even work, but I have done it on an old heater I had.

I count at least 5. 50:50 chance of it working at all.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Go to your local library reference section, pull out a copy of the 2002NEC, then go over the above paragraph with an eye for how many violations it creates.
If you don't understand what you're reading, then you shouldn't be attempting wiring.
Electrical work requires meticulous workmanship and attention to detail. The alternative is death, which isn't something I'd take lightly.

Could it be done in theory?
And what would the code violations be? I've seen a lot of suggestions here...going in the OTHER direction...from 220 to 110. I'm just wondering why it couldn't be done in THIS direction...assuming, of course, that he has each circuit on a different leg.
Have a nice week...
Trent

if he has the circuits on different legs.

he's drawing too much power with a 4800 watt heater for a circuit designed for outlets and lights.

Here's another violation to add to the list: a multiwire circuit such as the OP proposes requires an overcurrent device that will *simultaneously* disconnect *both* legs of the circuit.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:19:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

But nobody knows that he doesn't have that NOW.

See election results for...
1968 1980 1992 1996
...and many more.

There's ALWAYS more than 50 candidates for Miss America.
Have a nice week...
Trent

designed
the
We _do_ know that the circuit conductors are not in the same cable, which violates another NEC rule, Section 300.3(B). Circuit conductors must be ran in the same cable/raceway to reduce inductive heating and avoid increasing the overall circuit impedance.......otherwise the breaker may not trip in the event of a ground-fault.
The OP also mentioned using a neutral, which isn't needed.
As mentioned by others, NEC Section 424.3(B) would also be violated because it requires that the circuit for the heater be rated for 125% of the total load. 4500 watts/ 240 volts = 18.75 amps. 18.75 amps x 125% = 23.4 amps, so he needs a #10 wire and a 25 or 30 amp breaker. If not for that requirement, one of the individual circuits could easily and "legally" be converted to 240 volt, just not the way the OP wants to do it.
"Theoretically", he could use baling wire and some black tape.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:12:57 GMT, "volts500"

You mean conduit, of course. How do we know that? I didn't read that fact anywhere.

More than likely, it IS in the same raceway...if its goin' to a garage. I can't imagine someone runnin' 2 separate sections for 2 separate lines...especially on the same leg.
He probably has 220 out there now.

For the size wire and the breakers, he'd be fine. He may have a problem with that heater, however.

That was my question at the beginning. I've seen a lot of Q&A about going from 220 to 110. But I've never seen any going in the other direction.
Does code allow that?...at any place you want along the circuits?
Have a nice week...
Trent

He meant cable, and so does the NEC. I take it you didn't read the NEC anywhere either.

increasing
You need a better imagination.

Then why would he even ask this question?

because
total
amps,
Then he's not too fine, is he?

Uh, just do the opposite...connect the black and white to a 2 pole breaker. There isn't much more basic than that

You better do it at the beginning and end of the circuits. Where else would you want to do it?
You have a nice day Trent.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:27:23 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

Because he's looking for advice. He said in his original post that he has 2 CIRCUITS. These could very well be circuits.
I've seen a lot of your posts, Wade. Please don't try to come across like you know what the hell yer talkin' about...especially about electricity.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote:

Hi, Yup, it may well be two oppsite legs. Time consuming but he can trace the wires and confirm this. If it is he is in luck! Tony

Good Tony; did you read any of the myriad other posts with all the reasons it was impossible regardless whether is "oppsite legs" or not?
Wade Lippman wrote:

Hi, I was just into first step to see if there is 220V available. Next step is after that, safety, code issue, etc. Tony

My God you are an idiot. Did you even read the original post? He said he had two 110v circuits and wanted to use them together to give 220.
And that leads you to believe he already has 220v? I don't think he, or anyone else, is looking for advice from you.
You and Doug deserve each other!