Creating a 220 circuit?

I would like a 220 circuit to use with a 4500 watt heating element.I have two separate 110 circuits in my garage,each on GFCI and each with a 20 amp breaker.Can I run a black wire from each of them,a white wire from one and a ground from the other and create a 220 circuit in a separate receptacle?If so,can I still use these "donor" receptacles as 110s when I am not using this new 220? Thanks

Reply to
Henry B.

With your limited knowledge of Electrical Circuits, you should not try anything more than flipping a light switch, or plugging in the vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Greg-EE

No. This will not work. Please don't try.

No offense is intended, but the fact that you asked this question shows that you do not have anywhere near the degree of understanding needed to be safe.

Doug Miller

No, you can't; the idea has about 3 or 4 code violations. If your heater were a little smaller, you could convert one of the circuits to 240v, but if is unlikely your existing wire is large enough handle 4500w even at 240v. Looks like you will be pulling a new cable, or getting a smaller heater.

If you don't want to do that, and already have the heater, you might be able to run it off the 120v circuit. It will only be 1100w, and without knowing more about the heater I can't say if it will even work, but I have done it on an old heater I had.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Go to your local library reference section, pull out a copy of the

2002NEC, then go over the above paragraph with an eye for how many violations it creates.

If you don't understand what you're reading, then you shouldn't be attempting wiring.

Electrical work requires meticulous workmanship and attention to detail. The alternative is death, which isn't something I'd take lightly.

Reply to
Charles Krug

only if the 2 breakers are on different phases. you get 3 wires from the utility, one ground and 2 hot ones.

if both breakers are on the same hot wire, you can't do 220.

Reply to
j j

Well, 4500 watt would draw about 21 amps or so. There is a slight chance you could run them off the two twenties. But it would cost a pile of money for electric, and you woulnd't have enough left over to run any tools.

I'd pitch that idea in the scrap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn
20 amp breaker.Can I run a black wire from each of them,a white wire from one and a ground from the other and create a 220 circuit in a separate receptacle?If so,can I still use these "donor" receptacles as 110s when I am not using this new 220? only if the 2 breakers are on different phases. you get 3 wires from the utility, one ground and 2 hot ones. if both breakers are on the same hot wire, you can't do 220.

Just fcking great tell the guy how to get 220 from two seperate breakers really smart advice.

Reply to
... ...

It would trip instantly as both are on GFCI. The GFCI will trip if both the hot and neutral are not presented with the exact same load and the equal current. You would be using only the hot on each. Also the other advice given applies, gross violation of code and safety. Get an electrician in to wire it properly or say goodbye to the garage. Insurance would NOT cover the loss.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I dunno... maybe he could do the world a favor by wiring his complete house and electrocuting himself... :)

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Is that some sort of newly revealed math? I get 19a.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I didnt' tell him how to do it, just that he can't simply take 2 black wires and make a 240V circuit.

if he wants to find out how to do it, he can easily find it on the web, it's not like it's a big secret.

Reply to
j j

no, using the 80% rule for constant loads, he would need a breaker and wires rated for at least 25 amps (which don't exist, so go for 30 amps)

heating is done with double 20A breakers and special wires for electric heaters, and you can't go above 3800 watts per heater (80% of max)

as far as heating is concerned, I'd really go with an electrician since there's a risk of fire. it's not the same as creating another outlet or running a wire for a new light.

Reply to
j j

Could it be done in theory?

And what would the code violations be? I've seen a lot of suggestions here...going in the OTHER direction...from 220 to 110. I'm just wondering why it couldn't be done in THIS direction...assuming, of course, that he has each circuit on a different leg.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

See election results for...

1968 1980 1992 1996

...and many more.

There's ALWAYS more than 50 candidates for Miss America.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

he calculated with 220V as the original poster said, while you probably calculated with the real 240V voltage.

Reply to
j j

if he has the circuits on different legs.

he's drawing too much power with a 4800 watt heater for a circuit designed for outlets and lights.

Reply to
j j

It doesn't matter what the OP said, since nobody has 220v. Allowable voltage is 240 +-5%.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

How does it differ from running a wire for a new light, except that it is #10 rather than #14? What sort of "special wire" are you talking about? Is it sold at "special wire" stores?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Methinks the difference between the 19 and 21 relates to what number you use as a divisor. If you use 220, you get about 21

Watts/volts =amps

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to