Crazy Painting problem - NEED SERIOUS HELP

Latex can go over any Oil or Alkyd paint. It's Oil and Alkyd that is not recommended over Latex

Reply to
willshak

If we are talking about primers, either alkyd or latex paint can go over either alkyd or latex primer, assuming they aren't some special formulation. Paint over paint is another story. The secret to primers is allowing them to dry/cure properly.

Reply to
Norminn

Bzzt -- wrong answer. Latex over oil *primer* is perfectly fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

rather than paint with oil (yuck!) I'd scrape down the wall and then reprime with Zinsser Bulls-Eye 123 latex primer. It will cover any clean surface without sanding. You can even prime glass with this stuff. Then repaint with latex. If you live in the Midwest, you can pick it up at Menard's, if not I am sure you can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's or Google it and find a local supplier. -It probably was the dust. You definately can paint latex over an oil based primer. just not over oil based paint. try keeping the windows closed and opening any heat vents that may be down there. cook that paint a little and it will give you a nice finish! 45 degrees is a bit cool for interior paint. It was probably the mix of cold outside and warm inside that caused the sweating. keeping the windows closed will prevent that.

Reply to
rricker300