Crazy Painting problem - NEED SERIOUS HELP

Page 2 of 2
clipped

Drying and curing are completely different - paint or primer can feel dry in a couple of hours, but take much longer to reach the final, fully cured state. Read here: http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavIDa
clipped

"Kilz" is a brand .. comes in many flavors. I don't recall reading about use of PVA for sealing walls...last time I used it was to stick canvas on wood panels for oil painting.

Years ago a painter told me about the best primer to use on new walls. Muralo is very thin and it is quickly absorbed into the wall board sealing it up. I always use Benjamin Moore on top of that with great results. I used Behr once so I understand why you put on a thick second coat.
As others have stated, you obviously had too much moisture in the room as a result of it being in the basement and from the moisture from the paint trying to evaporate. The cold air caused condensation.
Masking tape should be removed promptly after applying paint. In your case the paint under the tape was not completely dry. It can take several days for paint to cure completely even though it is dry to the touch. Run your fingernail into the paint and see if it makes a dent. If it does the paint is still soft underneath.
At this point I think that you should let everything dry out for a week or more. Look at the temperature limitations on the paint can and make sure that the room stays above that. Repaint next week and put a small fan in the room. Keep the windows shut if it cold outside. Buy a respirator so you can work with the smell.

rather than paint with oil (yuck!) I'd scrape down the wall and then reprime with Zinsser Bulls-Eye 123 latex primer. It will cover any clean surface without sanding. You can even prime glass with this stuff. Then repaint with latex. If you live in the Midwest, you can pick it up at Menard's, if not I am sure you can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's or Google it and find a local supplier. -It probably was the dust. You definately can paint latex over an oil based primer. just not over oil based paint. try keeping the windows closed and opening any heat vents that may be down there. cook that paint a little and it will give you a nice finish! 45 degrees is a bit cool for interior paint. It was probably the mix of cold outside and warm inside that caused the sweating. keeping the windows closed will prevent that.