Crawl space waterproofing

Okay, this is how far I've gotten. Dug a portion (15'x45') of my crawl space down to 42" deep. Enough so I can get around. Poured concrete footings (2ft x 2ft) on 10 foot by 5 foot centers with support posts thereon. Purchased some 6 mil plastic sheeting that is 20 feet by 100 feet long.

What is the easiest way (from one of you that has done this) to cover this dirt area with the plastic and seal around all of the footings. Keep in mind that I have 3 long aisles, 5 feet wide with footings occurring every 10 feet, left and right. Needless to say that the outside aisle buts up against the perimeter foundation along one side and I will have to attach (tape??) the sheeting thereto.

I have a hard enough time rolling out a tarp on my large driveway. How do I cleverly handle all of this with all the obstructions and with me crawling on top of it to boot? How do I wrap footings? How much overlap along the sheeting edges? What kind of tape do I use? Do I go down there with 12 foot strips? etc etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance for all the advice

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

What is your goal - waterproofing or reduction of moisture? I seriously doubt you will ever get a crawl space waterproof, but you can certainly prevent a lot ground moisture.

Butt it up to the foundation and peg it down. I bought a box of roofing caps (plastic caps with a 4d nail thru them) I removed the 4d nails and replaced them with 16d nails. Used them to peg down the plastic every few feet.

I used 12' wide - easier to work with. Unfolded it on the driveway then rolled it up like a carpet. Was easy to unroll as I went thru the crawlway. Cut a slit for obstructions, place a 1-2' wide piece under the slit, tape the slit.

You don't need to.

6-8 inches.

They make a tape especially for plastic sheeting.

Much easier that 20'.

KC

Reply to
KC