crawl space moisture

hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier. Any suggestions? Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.net wrote:

Thats a tough problem. 16" is not enough room for anyone to do a lot of work under there. You say you have "excess moisture". Exactly what type of problem is this moisture creating?
Lawrence, thanks for the reply. By excess moisture I mean, the house (~ 700 square ft), smells musty and the cellar door (iron) has a ton of condensation on it when you open. The small cellar (~ 100 square foot) also smell very musty. The home too seems to have a lot of moisture (crackers, chips, etc go stale quickly) which I presume to be coming from the crawl space. Any ideas?
Lawrence wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.net wrote:

it has exposed earth for a floor?
if so you need a vapor barrier...
Mark
You can buy plastic on a wide roll and push it with poles. Or get a skinny miget.
m, thanks, interesting suggestion, but not all of the space is available through the sellar to push roles through (only two areas to access the rest of crawl space). And don't know of any ultra thin folks either :-) m Ransley wrote:

Mark, thanks for responding. It has an earth floor in the crawl space portion (about 600 square feet) of the 700 square foot home. I would install a barrier but there is almost no room to work with only 16 inches height in crawl space with plumbing and duct work in the way on top of it.
Mark wrote:

have you tried a fan, to keep the air moving?
--

IF you are still republican................
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html