Crappy kitchen drawers falling apart

I've inherited my late mother's home. It's a park model home (manufactured housing) and the cheapo particle board drawers are disintegrating. I'm gluing/nailing/screwing them back together.

So far, I'm gluing particle board strips (3/8" wide), below the drawer's side slots, back together with Titebond Premium (yel) wood glue (water resistant). I need to extract the failing staples and replace them with glue, screws, and 1" ring-shank panel nails. Also, the screws holding the roller rails have pulled out of the particle board sides. What is a good wood putty(?) brand to fill in the stripped screw holes in the fiberboard drawer side panels?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Perhaps you might want to give up trying the fix the crappy drawers and just make new ones. Pocket screws make it really simple. By making a 4 sided box, you can put the old fronts on the new drawers and everything will look the same. I've done it and couldn't be happier.

This is just one of the many videos showing how it's done. You can DAGS for instructions, videos, etc.

I made the new drawers at least 4" longer than the original ones and added full extension slides. I love 'em and more importantly, SWMBO loves 'em too.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use glue and wood toothpicks to fill any holes that need repairing before I put the screws back in. Wood putty tends to disintegrate, while real the real wood stays in the holes and gives the screws something solid to "grab".

Reply to
hrhofmann