Craneboard "solid core" siding...?

Hello all -

Has anyone had any experience with a product by Crane called "Craneboard solid-core" siding?

It can be seen here:

I will be needing siding on my old (1911) house. Still has the original wood shingles, many loose and ready to fall off. I anticipate pulling down the existing siding to the sheathing, and starting over from scratch.

I find the Craneboard attractive because it is one of the only "vinyl-synthetic" products I've seen that - comibined with the insulating foam "backing" - has the form factor of real siding. It seems stronger than "strip" vinyl siding.

Anyone tried it?

Thanks,

- John

Reply to
John Albert

There have been similar foam backed (supported) vinyl siding products on the market for some time. All are somewhat more flat appearance- wise than standard vinyl siding. What the backing adds as R-value is inconsequential to the total wall R values, so it's more of a selling point than a must have option. Kind of like having a power radiator cap on your Lexus. Odds are it won't outlast any other vinyl siding, so the benefits tend to seem obscure IMO. If you presently have shingle siding on the mansion, a vinyl in that pattern might be a better choice to preserve the character of the house, but consider that in light of how the rest of the neighborhood looks, too. When you do the shingle tear off, remember to include house wrap and new flashing in the project. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe