Craftsman wrench quality

Is Craftsman worth a damn, anymore? Do they still have the instant replacement guarantee on their hand wrenches?

I'm needing an SAE combo wrench set. Since I'm no longer a professional mechanic, I don't really need to buy pro grade tools. Even the better hand tools like S-K are now prohibitively expensive. Sears has one of their usual tool sales and I need a basic SAE combo wrench set, my pro grade German metric set OK, but an American sized set would make things a bit easier for wrenching my EZGO golf cart.

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob,

Yes, they still have and honor the lifetime guarantee. Replaced a screwdriver sometime in the last year. Took about 3 min.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Craftsman USED to be PRO quality. I used them all my carreer and I know quite a few others who did as well. No idea what they are like today but they will be more than adequate for your golf cart. Hazet may be a bit higher quality, for double the price -and they come from Brazil now instead of Germany. Never really liked the finish on them compared to my Craftsman tools. Used Hazet at the trade school where I taught.

Reply to
clare

I can't be sure about Shears. I worked for them in 1996, and was totally not impressed with the company.

A couple weeks ago, I got a set of SAE open end and box wrench from Harbor Freight. I used the set yesterday, for some very light duty work. The fit and finish seemed good, and they tightened nuts OK.

Please write back, and let us know what you decide, and how it turns out.

. Christ> Is Craftsman worth a damn, anymore? Do they still have the instant

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Now they only give repair part. Not a replacement. My ratchet wrench needed new guts and they gave a bag containing repair kit. Did not replace the wrench. I remember old ones were made by Singer but I think new ones now are made in Taiwan?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

All depends on what's wrong -- and, there's nothing wrong w/ the replacement ratchet "guts" if that's all that's wrong; and, in fact, for most I'd far prefer to keep the original handle over the newer ones as generally the "fit and finish" hence the comfort of the old is better than the new...

But, certainly for things like OP is talking of the replacement is a replacement and is above poster says, is still in force.

For OP; for general use I think they're still more than adequate; the hand wrenches and the like are as near as I can tell essentially the same as have been for ages.

Stuff like lineman's pliers that I had a set replaced a couple of years ago because elder son used them to cut #10 fencing wire and took a chunk out of the cutter are seemingly adequate but finish is much less clean and handles are rough comparatively...

I've bought some also perfectly adequate combo sets stamped w/ Stanley or some other licensed brands at bargain bin prices that also have held up well and aren't that bad to use, too.

If you have one where you can go look instead of mail order, even some of the HF collections are decent and certainly "the price is right" but you need to be able to look and judge/feel...

Reply to
dpb

I agree, they are probably serviceable but I'd compare with Kobalt, the Kobalt wrenches feel nicer in the hand and have the same guarantee theoretically (never had to use it.)

I did have a broken Husky socket that I was unable to warrant at Home Depot... nobody seemed to have a clue or really care how to go about it. (not a big loss for me, it was in a lot of tools bought at a yard sale, had it been part of a set I'd have been mad though as individual sockets are pricey.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Last time I looked, theywere mediocre, not as good as the older tools. Probably acceptable for what you need. Consider the Lowe's brand of Kobalt tools if one is near you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I handed the man at Sears a broken ratchet wrench, and he reached under the desk and traded me for someone's "rebuilt" one is less than 15 seconds. The trade was over so quick that I thought it must happen a lot!

Reply to
Bill

I bought a set about 15 years ago and they were not as good as they were years before that. They peobably are even cheaper made now. The old ones are very good quality for the average person. Might pay to look around some flea markets to see if there are any old ones there. I still have a 1/2 inch set of sockets my day had in the 50's. Don't know what he did with the ratchet, but do have the pull handle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had an interesting discussion with a Sears employee.

Turns out that the CRAFTSMAN brand still has lifetime instant, no questions asked, guarantee.

But they have a lower cost brand with lifetime guarantee... BUT To get THAT guarantee, you have to keep the receipt and send it in somewhere for replacement. Funny, it doesn't mention that on the box.

Reply to
mike

I bought a set of Craftsman wrenches, sockets, etc., about 6-7 years ago du ring one of their sales. They came in a plastic carrying case. I've used th em all over the farm and home without any problems. I also have a variety o f Craftsman ratchets and sockets and combo wrenches that I bought back in m y piston-head days of the late 1960's; they are all still serviceable.

Reply to
Pavel314

I noticed that. Two sets labeled Craftsman, one Made In the USA, the other, China.

Screw that. I ain't going thru no receipt/mailing/shipping nonsense over a freakin' broken wrench. Time to start checking the hardware and auto parts stores.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I broke one of these Husky painter's tool last year and took it in to Home Depot for replacement.

The tool comes with a tiny #2 Phillips bit, but I didn't have it with me when I went to exchange it.

The nice lady behind the counter opened up the packaging on the new tool and removed the bit before she gave me the replacement tool.

Wouldn't that be an interesting way to steal #2 bits. Buy one painter's tool, remove the bit and exchange the tool for a new one over and over again, keeping the bit each time. I'm glad HD is protecting themselves from crooks like me. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a T-50 black impact Torx wrench, for brake jobs on my last Blazer. From Napa auto parts. After one such brake job, I noticed the tip was bent. Took it back, the guy swapped it out instantly, no questions or paper work. I'd used a 230 foot pound HF brand electric impact wrench. Not a huge over powering wrench.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I forget...I think I used it as a pry bar and broke a tip off of the blade.

I do love that tool. I bought it when I replaced my windows and it sure came in handy for all sorts of tasks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Back as far as 1969 if a ratchet failed they provided repair parts - at least in Canadian Sears stores. - unless you managed to break the housing/handle.

Reply to
clare

The only Craftsman tools from my 1968/69 set that are not perfectly useable today are those I have lost or misplaced. I think I had one box end wrench and a couple pliers replaced and 2 or 3 ratchet head repairs over the last 45? years. I think I had a couple philips screwdrivers replaced and broke at least one hammer handle.

Compare that to a highschool classmate who bought Snappies, and broke a pretty large percentage before finishing his apprenticeship. (Snap-Off tools). I bought a few SK tools over the years, and a fair number of Herbrands. I do also have a few snap-on and I think the odd "blue point" which was Snap-On's industrial brand. A few other miscalaneous oddballs for good measure (Proto etc)

My 2 years in Zambia we had almost exclusively Hazet and Gedore with a sprinkling of a British brand I can't remember at the moment.(halfords??) More "industrial" than "automotive" in both cases

- no polished chrome, and chunky. My students never managed to break any of them.

The set I carry in my vehicle is a "mastercraft" set from Canadian Tire - about 15 years old - split one socket, lost about 2 - latches on the plastic case departed a few years ago and the velcro strap has let a few escape. Decent quality and lifetime guarantee.

Reply to
clare

Umm.. You are wrong on both counts. You didn't lose them and they are still perfectly useable.

Next time you're south of the border, stop by. I'll let you look at them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In Canada, there is a company called "Acklands" which has recently had some kind of merger with Grainger in the USA, and is now called Acklands Grainger.

Originally Acklands and now Acklands Grainger sells their own housebrand tools under the name "Westward". I don't know where they're made, but they're good quality too.

'WestWard Tools : Home'

I've had my Westward 3/8 inch drive socket set since I was 16 years old.

I think any decent quality set of tools will last you a life time if you don't abuse them. Sears has the advantage that there are Sears stores in every major city in the USA and Canada, and so replacing the tool isn't a hassle.

Reply to
nestork