Craftsman Tractor won't start

Asking this for a friend so I don't all the details but:

Craftsman tractor probably around 5 years old cranks just fine but is not getting fuel. If he puts fuel in the carb directly the thing runs until all the fuel is gone. The fuel lines are fine, new fuel filter (installed properly).

Any ideas what to check next?

Regards

Reply to
Lex

Float / needle valve in carb is stuck shut. Won't let fuel in from the tank, but will run when it's poured down the throat. Open carb float chamber and clean with carb cleaner.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Exactly what happened to my friends Craftsman 17.5 HP last year. I suspect he left some old fuel in it over the winter. Is there a needle valve/float in the carb bowl that could be stuck ? I dont recall if I got into it that deep. Or some crud in the line from tank to carb..Truthfully, I cant recall how I fixed it but did take off the tank and blew out the line(s), also took off ther carb linkage..IIRC probably to get the tank off. Anyway, once I reassembled it, replaced the totally clogged AIR filter and put new gas in it..It coughed a few times then up to speed and away it went. Good luck

Rudy

check your tire pressure the front left is low causing the wigget to go off balance. a off balance wigget will cause many problem, the muffler bearings will seize if ran for more then 5 min. Off balance wigget will also make the fuel flow reverse causing it to fill the tank instead of the carb. Off balance wiggets will also make the operater want to go cow tipping at midnight on clear nights and their freinds go snipe hunting. I once saw a off balnce wigget make pigs fly but that was an extream case of off balance wiggetry. What ever you do dont over inflate the tire then the wigget will go off balance the other way. If that happens make sure you have 3 dead chickens near by as a worm hole will open up and the creature from "I need

3 dead chicken world " will apear. Dont piss this guy off give him the chickens. If you dont have 3 dead chickens then all your mirrows in your home will make any female who looks into them look fat. Then you will then be put on some horrible diet. Dont worry if this happens you can correct everything. remove the wigget on a new moon , not a full moon. Put it into a golden urn and wait for the 3rd sunday of a month. Find a busy church get a speedo bathing suit , 1 can of beer, and those glasses with a funny moustach and big nose. Timing on this part is critical you must wait for chuch to be let out then run to the front steps and open a can of beer pour the entire can of beer over your head and say "I am a sucker" 3 time while danceing around frantically around the wigget hat is inside the urn , wave your arm around like you are chasing bees away from you. then stop and calmly say to the wigget inside the urn I am sorry grandma it will never happen again. You must not say anouther word and stand perfectly still, wait until the police show up. If you can talk you way out of being arrested and thrown into a rubber room your tractor will work fine for 3 years. If the tire pressure is proper then try cleaning/ flushing the carb / bowl..

good luck

Reply to
DR, Bob

if you disconnect the fuel line is the fuel pump working? if so, clean the carb.

randy

Reply to
xrongor