Craftsman Self-Propelled Mower Problem

I have a Craftsman self-propelled mower that recently has problems. After I engage the self-propel mechanism, the front wheels turn but after going a few yards (distance varies) they stop turning. If I disengage the mechanism and then re-engage it, they turn again. I've checked the engaging line and it looks OK.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve?

Thanks for all help.

Reply to
nr

What model?

Most likely the drive keys for the wheels are worn or the springs that push them outward to drive the wheel are broken. These parts could also be stuck and need grease.

Remove the wheel. Remove the gear with snap ring pliers.These parts will fall off the shaft. They cost about one dollar to replace. Make note of the one way action of the gear and replace it in the same orientation. Use plenty of grease upon re-assembly.

The drive cable if hydrostatic could also need to be shortened if the speed of the mower has slowed in recent years.

Reply to
tnom

Addition:

The wheel and shaft assembly could also be worn bad enough that the amount of slop could overtake the engagement distance that the drive needs to work properly.

Reply to
tnom

My new Craftsman variable self-propelled has a belt drive where there is an adjustment screw that determines how tight the belt is. If yours is similar, may need adjusting.

Reply to
trader4