Craftsman Reciprocating Saw

I have a 10A Craftsman Reciprocating Saw with a Flip Open Blade Holder. I am unable to use blades from other manufacturers in it as they seem to be thicker than the Craftsman blades. Is this a common problem and is there a fix?
Thanks,
Add pictures here
✖

Best fix is to buy a Milwaukee Sawzall.
Add pictures here
✖

Good advise!
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 13, 10:17 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Add pictures here
✖

Screw them! It's free enterprise at it's finest.
Add pictures here
✖

I've been told Sears sells quite a lot of crap.
Add pictures here
✖

I've thrown most of my away by now.

Yeah, I still have a Sears shop-vac and a hammer or two. ...and some wrenches. All the power tools (except the RAS, which hasn't been used in 15 years) are long gone.

Umm, I wasn't talking about that sort of tool.
Add pictures here
✖
Sand it thinner! make it fit! I put a dodge motor in a Willys Truck,
Jerry
✖

Others are made with that style holder so I'd look to see if there is anything preventing it from opening all the way. Or perhaps it's got an adjustment somewhere. Worst case disassembly and a little filing or grinding should solve your problem and from then on just by regular replacement blades at lowes or home depot.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/14/2011 8:02 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I had resigned myself to doing that but thought I would ask if there's some simple adjustment I could do first. It looks like there's a cap head screw holding it onto the arm which goes back into the gearbox but there's no way to get to it without taking the casing apart.
I guess I'll learn more than I wanted to know about this saw before I'm finished!
Thanks for all the replies.
Add pictures here
✖
I'm copying your post to alt.home.repair, where you will almost certainly get some responses, maybe some of them useful.
"Larry T. Suddarth" wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Home Guy wrote:

Is there some reason why you doorknobs dropped misc.consumers.house in your replies?
Add pictures here
✖
Home Guy wrote:

Never mind.
I just noticed that the OP (Larry T. Suddarth) followed improper usenet protocal by multi-poasting instead if cross-posting his question to misc.consumers.house and alt.home.repair.
Add pictures here
✖