Craftsman lawn mower has bent crank shaft

Page 2 of 2
Wow... Thank you all for all your comments and recommendations. Just to make things clear... It's a Briggs engine and yes, it was I who hit a stump and bent the crankshaft. I new it was bent and Sears confirmed it with a $220 quote for repair. Instead of having Sears do the repair, I ordered a new shaft which cost me $75 including shipping and I'll attempt the repair myself.
Right now, I'm having a tough time getting the flywheel off. I'll try to get it off with hammering a piece of wood against it... although, I think I should find a repair manual somewhere for this Briggs engine... cause after the flywheel comes off, it looks like the lower pan needs to come off. It's looks challenging but should be time well spent tinkering in the garage.
Thanks again for all your help and direction.
RR
I must be missing somthing here... I've never seen a Craftsman mower with anything but a Tecumseh engine on it. Are you SURE it's a Briggs?
I haven't looked at Craftsman power equiptment for a while, so I may well be wrong. It would be wonderful if they started using Briggs enignes, as that is one of the major reasons that their stuff sucks...
Tony
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Rich R) wrote in message

In alt.home.repair snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (Tony Kimmell) wrote:

Yes, the primary motors are all Briggs and Stratton. They also sell some with Hondo motors in them. www.sears.com
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote in message (Tony Kimmell) wrote:

very common with briggs. unfortunately sears orders special engines for their equipment, the briggs shafts bend just as easy. i've got three pieces of a briggs crank sitting on a shelf. poor guy hit a brick with the mower and the crank broke in 3 pieces. it just depends on how it was hit. i used to work on 20 year old techumsehs all day long. trust me all engines are going to shit. even the honda consumer models. Chip