craftsman garge door opener ten blinks

My garage door opener will not close. I hold the button down and it starts to move and then reverses. When I push the button and let go, it makes a humming noise and then the light blinks 10 times. What does this mean? I do not have a manual to tell me. I tried to disconnect the sensors, but it still did the same thing. HELP!!!!
On 24 Jan 2004 18:27:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jim) wrote:

1. Something is blocking the sensors or 2. You have to increase the downforce....there is a control somewhere for it.
That sounds like blocked sensors. The little lights at the bottom of the door. They may be misaligned or a wiring problem.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
disconnect the door from the opener 1st and make sure nothing is binding too. Tony

Sounds like my problem recently with a Wayne Dalton. 1st. Disconnecting the sensors will not work. They just report that they are blocked.
My sensors were blocked with snow but the same problem remained after clearing them, i.e., start to close then open again and blink.
Correction for me was to disconnect the power and the actuator and close door manually. Then reconnect power and operate opener until it went to the fully closed position at which time the actuator reconnected to the door. Cycled door and everything fine again.
I did find in the manual later that with the start, open, blink signs, the door can be closed and remain closed if you hold the manual button down until the door is well on its way. It then will open with the opener. Don't know if it will then close normally after having been through a full cycle.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jim) wrote in message

It sounds like the open relay on the logic board is stuck (fused together) closed. It probably is not in the photo-cells. If it was the door would close fully by holding the button and not reverse. The humming is from the logic board trying to tell the motor to run in both directions at the same time.
You can try hitting the relays (there are three, one for open, one for close, & the 3rd controls the light) w/ the handle of a screwdriver (what the heck it's already broke), pull the caps off of the relays & cleane points, or change the board. Hitting the relays is only a temporary fix to see if the problem goes away for the time being to narrow down the problem.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
Sounds like doordocs opinion is closer to truth than my first reply as he noted blinking only occurs after attempted operation, His scenario can also occur if traveler is beached against a stop bolt- mechanically stuck as opposed to electromechanically stuck.

jim, Ten blinks is not listed on my FAQ page http://mywebpages.comcast.net/froarty572/openfaq.htm . 1 thru 6 blinks have associated meanings. There is however a listing for "rapid blinks" this is for an incoming received signal and can be looping in 10 flash intervals if you have a "stuck" transmitter somewhere. gather all your transmitters and verify none are stuck. problem will eventually go away when battery gives up but a constant stream will not allow receiver to reset. when signal strength finally becomes marginal you will start to get the familiar complaint of door openeing and closing periodically by itself. neighbors can cause similar problem with stuck transmitter but it only effects your ability to receive as your receiver gets 2 signals mixed up. is led always flashing 10 or only when you use it?