Craftsman Garage opener: just clicks

I just replaced a broken sproket and drive gear on my 8 year old 1/2 HP Craftsman Garage Door Opener.

The instructions that came with the repair kit said to let it run free with the cover off then stop it and apply more grease to the gears.

My problem is that I am no longer getting any response from the motor. I hear a click and a yellow light in the back blinks until I hit the reset button then it stays a solid yellow.

The motor worked fine before I took it down. to replace the gears.

Would some please tell me if I'm missing a saftey switch or something or something else obvious and stupid.?

I took several pictures of the complete unit before I disconnected anything, so I am sure that the wires are in the right places.

Thanks, Norman

Reply to
norman881

Hi, Released the door from opener?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, the cover is off and the chain is not on the sprocket yet.

My kit instructions say to lube it up good before hooking everything back up.

Norman

Reply to
norman881

Could it be parked on one of the limit switches?

Reply to
Eric in North TX

How do I check?

Thanks, Norman

Reply to
norman881

Reply to
Jim Wheeler

Both sending units have a solid green light on.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

My 1st guess would be is that you did not put the revolution counter cup (round back plastic w/ notches on the side rim) back on or it is not seated properly. 2nd guess would be something is hooked up wrong. What all did you dis-connect.

The opener doesn't have a "reset" button. The button on the board is the "smart" button to program transmitters & keyless. The LED will flash in a certain sequence (flash twice pause, flash 3 times pause, etc) as a trouble code but they really were not of much value to tell you what was wrong & I haven't seen lately were they even publish whatthe codes mean.

When you push the learn button & the LED stays on, that means the board is in learn mode. It will stay on for 30 seconds (have to push remote button within that time to program) & shut off automatically or flash & shut off as soon as you program a trans.

DoorDoc www.DoorsAnd> I just replaced a broken sproket and drive gear on my 8 year old 1/2 HP

Reply to
doordoc

I took 8 pictures of the unit after I removed the cover. I put everything back in the same place that my pictures show. Does that cup have to be rotated to a certain position? Since I took my pictures from underneath, I did not note the exact postion. Plus I rotated the shaftsto lube them after I replaced the sprockets.

Thanks for the tips.

Sincerely, Norman

Reply to
Norman

That's exactly it! I had a similar problem, as my opener would run but only for a second or so, then reverse the same amount. When I saw DoorDoc's note about the plastic cup on the end of the motor's shaft, it solved the problem.

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
TKS

----------------------------------------- Thanks Ted! With your help I was able to determine that I had 2 white wires reversed. I looked at the pictures that I took over and over, but did not notice the error until you stated where the wire in question should have been connected.

Thank you very much. Sincerely, Norman

PPS- Thanks to you too DoorDoc for pointing out that I had something connected wrong.

Reply to
Norman