Craftsman electric chain saw seized up...what to do?

Page 1 of 2

I bought a Craftman electric chain saw about 3 years ago and have used it a couple of times each summer...maybe 5-10 hours of use in all. I was cutting up a tree in the back yard today when the saw just stopped cold. It was like the chain brake had engaged, but it hadn't. Nothing happens when I hit the switch, and the chain sprocket won't rotate at all. It's out of warranty, so before I bring it to Sears and have them tell me it will cost more to fix than I want to pay, I thought I'd ask for suggestions about how to fix it myself. Does someone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!!
Ben wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes.

it's probably got sap gumming up the works. Maybe a spray of PB Blaster penetrating oil would help.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's not just hand tools?

If a water hose is marked Craftsman, I've gotten replacements before. Not just tools.
Still I have two 50' Craftsman hoses that need to go back for my lifetime warranty. I've done this before.
Now they want to give you the replacement that is not marked Craftsman.

Not on power tools.
On Mar 15, 5:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

If it's not a bit of crap jamming in the chain sprocket, the most likely thing is the gearbox. On most electric saws the motor needs to be geared down to develope enough torque. Remove the bar and chain and see if the chain sprocket is free to turn. There's also a sprocket on the end of the bar that must spin freely. The bearing on this can disintegrate, especially if there has been a dearth of oil.

Good thing that the clerks who exchanged dead Craftsman power tools for me a couple times, in 2 different cities, did not know that. But this was several years ago, maybe they have tightened up their rules.
--
aem sends...

replying to willshak, homeyson wrote: I ordered a work electric chainsaw it came with oil I have not had it to run the first time any suggestion unhappy saw owner

1. Sears will charge a minimum ($50?) whether the saw is repairable or not. 2. Mechanical problems can be repaired by fitting new parts if available, and electrical problems can sometimes be repaired too. The OP did not say whether the casing can be removed from either the electric motor or the chain drive unit. 3. Failure of the power supply cord is another possibility.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

1. Since the saw cost only about $50 in the first place, a $50 repair charge would be pretty steep! 2. The casing does seem to open on both sides---the motor side and the chain/bar side. I removed the screws on the chain side, but opening it fully would mean cutting through a sticker and I wanted to get some advice if possible before I did that. 3. If you mean the extension cord that connects the saw to the outlet, I tested that (by plugging in something else) and it's fine. There's something definitely wrong with the saw since the chain sprocket won't rotate.
-Ben 3.
Even with the bar off?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.
If it's out of warranty why are you concerned about breaking the sticker? Open the chain side and see if something is stuck in there or the chain has jumped partway off the sprocket. Electrical problems like a cord or bad switch wouldn't prevent the chain & sprocket from turning.
My first thought is to take the bar and chain off. Plug the saw in, hold it safely, and quick squeeze of the trigger.
If the motor and sprocket are the problem, it will be still dead. Some cleaning and oiling the motor might help.
On the other hand, if the chain is the problem, now you'll hear it spin. Maybe bar too tight, or chain dried out or....
But, that will help determine which component was the problem.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Agree.
Bent / kinked chain...causing a bind.

The other comment to check the switch would be my second choice.
Ben wrote:

Dollars to donuts it's the crappy trigger switch.
On my Ryobi, the interlock button broke which in turn prevented the switch from working. If you disassemble the handle, I'll bet you'll find similar cheesy parts. With some suitable head-scratching and experimenting you'll probably be able to bypass whatever it is that's busted.

Take off the chain and bar grab the motor shaft with pliers, if it doesnt turn freely easily the bearings are shot, maybe you can get it to turn, maybe but unlikely they can be oiled, open it up and look. If it turns easily without the bar maybe its the bar seized to the chain from no oil, if no power maybe the plug or switch, open and use a meter. A set of bearings is cheap but who knows if its esy to replace them by their thow away design.

Yes and sears no longer offers satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
Incidently I heard the company lost money in the christmas selling season. They sold off the Craftsman tool brand, are now only a licensee. Kenmore is for sale if its not already sold.
Sears is on its way out and K mart too.
I quit shopping at sears unwillingly to wait in long lines while clerks try to huckster credit cards to every customer.
I lef my last purchase at the register and asked are you a merchant or a bank?
Even craftman tools arent what they used to be.
OK, I opened up the saw. The clutch that's attached to the chain brake lever seems to perform two functions---preventing the lock button from doing it's job (pressing a switch inside) and locking up the motor so that the sprocket doesn't turn. I was somehow able to make it all work again for a moment, but it stopped almost immediately. I can hear the lock button engaging the switch (a small click that doesn't happen when the chain brake is on) but the saw still won't start. Frustrating! I can take it apart again and look at the clutch (there are actually two clutches according to the parts diagram), but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them.
Thanks again, -Ben