Craftsman (again) Return Policy?

Page 2 of 2

I had broken a new shovel and taken it back for replacement, turned aound and broke the handle on it again that same day. The lady who runs that department came out to see if I was abusing the tool. She inspected the tool and said it wsa a manufactues defect, the grain in the handle was going the wrong way. Then she inspected every wood handled shovel there and took them off the shelf because they all had the same defect. She also gave me a fiberglass handled shovel at no extra charge. Thats what I call good service.
[snip]

Which is why I continue to purchase Craftsman tools. My similar experience was with the gravel rake. I purchased the lighter-weight model because I was going to be using it across a large cross-section of my plot. The few extra ounces the fiberglass model had caused me to set it back on the shelf. I purchased the wooden handled rake brought it home and within an hour, the rake head had pulled itself free of the handle. I went back to the tool area, exchanged the tool only to repeat the process. The dept manager came out, looked at the tool, went to the remaining rakes, and pulled a rake head out by hand, clucked and handed me the fiberglass model for my inconvenience. It was not only more expensive, it's seen nine years of solid service.
I'm glad to hear that Sear's VP is letting some uninformed associates (and hopefully their supervisors) know that customer service is more important than they seem to think.
The Ranger
The Ranger wrote:

If it is in fact a CRAFTSMAN tool, then it is a lifetime warranty unless a air tool or power tool. Air tools are one year. Not sure about the electric ones. Don't own any craftsman electric stuff. (and never will)
On 4/13/2009 1:00 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Why not?
I have a Craftsman drill (3/8" reversible, *all metal*), router, circular saw and saber saw (the last two bought new). Never had any problems w/any of them (well, outside of having to replace the speed control on the drill which I bought for $15, well-used, at a flea market).
Perhaps your reasons are as irrational as your refusal to use WD-40.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Steve pretty much mirrors my attitude based on my experience -- at one time Craftsman stuff was pretty good and power hand tools were at least adequate. But, they got to where nothing I tried was satisfactory or lasted and I gave 'em up. So far, while they apparently have improved at least some from their nadir, no reason to give them any advantage over current choices instead. That I've got essentially everything I need and don't do as much as did at one time doesn't help in that I'm not buying nearly the amount of hand tools used to, either...
David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, i just use the items for what they were intended. And i haven't found any good use for WD-40. If i need kerosene, then i pick up the kerosene can and use it. _I_ use my power tools everyday. The craftsman junk won't hold up to that service. Neither will B&D anymore. Sadly, neither make things like they used to. 'course you being a once a month handyman, wouldn't know anything about daily hard use of tools.
thanks for the inquiry.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:23:07 -0700, "The Ranger"

I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools without moving parts are guaranteed. Can't hurt for you to give it a try.

There's the rub - by what definition does Sears define a 'hand tool'? Some might try to claim, as Phisherman mentions, that hand tools are only those things that don't have moving parts, thereby getting away with not honoring wrench sets or the like.
But the VP's memo posted at Consumerist.com does put my irk to rest from a few years ago when a Sears quasi-pseudo-department manager said that Sears didn't warrenty hand tools any more. Poor 'droid doesn't even know his own company's policy...
Kyle wrote:

Just remember to be nice at the start. If that does not work ask for the store manager:-))
Lou

Sometimes that works, if the store manager is good, and other times it just leads to more frustration on your part and more FAIL on the part of the store/company. Get familiar with Consumerist.com and the phrase "executive email carpet bomb".
Kyle wrote:

Results also depend, very much, on the words and attitude you take.
Lou
Phisherman wrote:

you need to try again and get the store manager involved in front of a bunch of customers. Raise voice as needed whilst you are telling them "WHAT!?! You won't warranty a lifetime warranty tool???"

Wouldn't a ratchet have moving parts? People have had them replaced.
--
charles

On Apr 17, 8:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

I have been into Sears stores that will not replace them because of this. Thankfully some do.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Thankfully? I'd say more like those that don't deserve to be reported to Sears corporate for being complete tools.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel