Craftsman 12v Drill Battery

Sears wants about $50 for a new 12v drill battery (after tax and shipping), so it makes sense to pay $20 more and get a new drill with two batteries. It's too darn bad that I have to throw away a perfectly good drill just because the batteries are worn out.
I checked a couple online battery discounters, and they don't carry my model. Anywhere else to get discounted drill batteries?
Any deals on drills out there?
Jeff McAhren wrote:

The May issue of Consumer Reports compared battery operated drills. They advise batteries can cost up to $100 and for any drill costing less than $100 it is probably better to toss it and buy a new one. They also say a battery should last through 500 recharges. You can save your old drill, buy the new one with two batteries, and have two drills ready to go.
Jeff McAhren wrote:

powered elect. drills and also sell batteries for the tools.. i was in the local store few days ago and they had a whole counter with batteries for drills.. dont know what the power was as i was not looking for them at this time.... you might want to take the battery pack apart and see whats inside and then go with the www.batteries.com and buy some replacements for the inside of the battery pack????
If you can get the pack open you can get 10 cells for 10$ and solder them in

I did this recently with a Craftsman 12v drill. The battery pack was 10 sub-C sized nicad cells. (@ 1.2v each) There was some sort of widget, I believe a temperature sensor in circuit on the third contact and taped to one of the cells.
I was able to buy tabbed 2100mAh cells from http://www.zbattery.com for about the same price as a replacement at HD, but I probably have better power now. I just rebuilt the pack, soldering the tabs to each other, and scrounging the sensor out of the original.
Dave.

That's what tells the charger to stop charging the cells.It's a Thermal switch.When NiCds near a full charge,their case temp increases rapidly.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Could be the storage temperature,or not charging them properly.Some of the cheaper drill/driver kits have ordinary non-regulated chargers.the better chargers are "fast-charge",meaning one hour or less.NiCds like being fast- charged,but not overcharged,nor under-charged.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
I was also gonna suggest www.harborfreight.com
You might want to get goofy, here. Take the drill apart, run a length of zipcord out, and put a lighter plug on it. Make a 12 volt drill you can use out of your lighter socket.
I know, it really hurts to throw out a perfectly good drill.
How about look on the battery and get the part number. Log onto www.google.com and type in the part number of the battery. If that doesn't work, the part number of the drill. I found replacement batteries for my cell phone that way, and also ribbons for my old Diablo printer.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus