Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener

I replaced the sprocket on my garage door opener several weeks ago. The opener worked well for several weeks after that, however, now the door reverses during the down cycle. The opener lights do not flash and there is no visible obstruction. The garage door is a one-piece door. Now when initiationing the the close cycle the 'straight door arm' is abruptly forced to one side and the garage door bucks (moves significantly from side to side in the up position) and the close cycle stops. I haven't changed any of the 'limits' since installing the new sprocket. And I am hesitant to change the limits without some more information about why the door can't close. Any ideas what is creating this problem?

Reply to
Sue

Unhook the safety release and operate the door by hand. It sounds like the door is binding.

Reply to
tnom

For starters, pull the "emergency release" rope to disconnect the arm/traveler from the screw/chain. See if the door can be run up and down by hand. If not, the problem is in the door. If you can, then the problem is in the door opener.

Reply to
professorpaul

I've been operating the garage door manually - I can open and close it easily. Any suggestions what could be wrong with the door opener?

Reply to
Sue

imho:

Could be what you mentioned, limits. The new sproket could be causing a toque trip. Get your door openner adjusted, and check for level and plumb.

tom @

Tom The Great

Recheck your sprocket installation. Something may have happened there.

Reply to
Bob S.

try lubing the door whens the last time you oiled ind greased it properly?

if your like me it was when the door was installed over 20 years ago.

my door appeared to move easily but had intermittent jams, from worn rollers and bearings i found lubing it.........

Reply to
hallerb

No, because the only opener that is having a problem is the live one. If your door mis-aligns itself with the electric opener then the door IS the problem. Anyone can manually open a door and correct the alignment to make it work, but an electric garage door opener can't make these adjustments. It's not smart enough. The other opener should be smart enough to know it's has to be the door.

Reply to
tnom