Cracking spackle around shower stall...ideas?

I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and the top of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled in the gap with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where the wall meets the spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions on how to not have it crack. Thanks
John
Also consider the moisture a shower puts out, maybe silicone might have been a better choice?
BetsyB

Yep, silicone or latex caulking would have prevented that problem.
|I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and the top | of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled in the gap | with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where the wall meets the | spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions on how to not have it | crack. Thanks | | John | |
a piece a trim molding works great to hide the gap and gives the shower stall a little more character.
or use mesh tape and joint compound instead of spackle.