Cracked PVC Pipe

I had a cracked on my main water supply pipe (one inch diameter PVC pipe). There is a water pressure regulator to lower the city water pressure coming in to the house. The crack happen about halfway (10 feet) between the city water meter and the pressure regulator. The PVC pipes are underground (7 years, not that old). Plumber fixed it, but did not have a clue as to what could have caused PVC to crack. I suspect that somehow my water pressure regulator (due to the city high water pressure) is causing my pipes to flex or oscillate underground causing then to crack (which means it will happen again). Has anyone seen this before? Any permanent fixes? Thanks for the help...Jose
SJC wrote:

You are saying that the meter is first (at the street) and the regulator is at the house? So, the crack occurred in a section which is *not* regulated?
If that is the case, you may have to move the regulator out to the meter box.
City pressure can be very high, especially at night. There can also be extreme pressure surges.
Along with the regulator, you almost surely need an expansion tank to absorb thermal expansion from the water heater. Put a pressure gauge on the system to see what is happening.
Jim
S__t happens.

pipe).
pressure coming

meter and

caused PVC

high
causing

coming
causing
this is Turtle.
I believe Art hit it for i think it was just a defect in the PVC pipe for pvc pipe is made by man and it can have a defect in it.
TURTLE
So find an all-female PVC factory? How do you research that?
I suspect that the pipe may have been put in without sufficient gravel around it, the dirt settled over time, separated away from the pipe, allowed it to move, allowed it to 'hammer', resonate, whatever. And with that regular flexion, caused itself to flex itself into a failure, and was indeed caused by a defective installation rather than manufacture.

for
This is Turtle.
Websters says if your speaking about a group of humans and do not know their Gender. You should refer to the Male Gender in speaking about the group. now if you do know it is not a mixed group and all female use female gender. You should use the correct gender to match the groups gender if known , but if unknown use the male gender.
Now to the split pipe. Hummmm You may have something there.
TURTLE
Same could be said for user or installer......

their
now
You
<< The crack happen about halfway (10 feet) between the city water meter and the pressure regulator. >>
A logical fix might be to replace that line with a material that is either much more robust or with enough flexibility to withstand the pressure surges. As another poster noted, proper ibstallation is vital. Your city hall will have a code for approved kinds of pipe. Something in Schedule 80 pipe may be netter for this application. Good luck,
Joe