Cracked Heat Exchanger

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 01:04:42 -0600, Big Giant Head
    Good for you. Any chance you might post the serial number ? I've been trying to register mine for ages.     TIA     ;)     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
bob haller wrote:

I thought heat exchanger warranty is very long.
On Monday, December 2, 2013 12:26:27 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's what companies are counting on. Dummies like you. It's a 20 year old furnace. How long is "very long' and even if the part itself is covered, by the time you factor in that labor rarely is included, nor are other charges like miscellaneous parts, the rest of it is still 20 years old, etc. it rarely makes sense to put a new heat exchanger in a 20 year old furnace.
Micky is right, don't tell the repair guys what you did until AFTER they look at the furnace and tell you what they think and why. You'll learn a lot more by doing it in that sequence!
On 12/2/2013 9:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

tell you what they think and why. You'll learn a lot more by doing it in that sequence!

"It's cold in here. Do you think it might need a new thermostat" is a good way to start with the call.
Went to a couple friends, one time. House was hot. Find out they were on their 4th thermostat, and hadn't got it fixed yet. Yep, fourth, 4th. Wow.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:04:42 AM UTC-5, Big Giant Head wrote:

They all force the conditioned air past the heat exchanger for just the safety reason you figured out. I'd start shopping now for a new furnace since your's is that old.
Not that I'll take responsibility for what you do about the old one but I have seen heat exchangers in such bad shape that when the circulation fan started up it blew the flame all over the place.
jamesgang wrote:

Yeah, that's what the guy was telling me. I guess I never looked closely at other configurations.

It's going to get replaced in a matter of days. Meanwhile I am keeping an eye on things and have the two CO alarms.
I'm fine with how things are for a few days. It did occur to me that one could partly restrict the venting into that area of the furnace creating a very slight vacuum which would ensure that any blowback gases would get sucked into the other burners and vented out. But that would be stupid as reduced air only increases the likelyhood of CO production. I'd bet right now there's almost none. I won't mess with it. It would be funny if there were access points into the HE and someone stuck a CO probe into each and found that the channel that appears to have the issue was actually making less CO because of that additional air. We'll never know but it's possible. Secondary air they call it in other industries.