Cracked foundation walls

I'm having a house built in Cheyenne. It has an 8' basement with 6' below grade and 2' above grade. I am have a Bilco basement door installed with the new home. The basement walls were poured so a 6' deep cement rectangular horse shoe (6' out and 4' across) would house the steps leading into the basement from the outside. The top of the basement step inclosure is at grade level. The walls of the enclosure are the same 8" thick as the basement walls.

Something has caused the end portion of the enclosure to crack down to at least the basement floor. There is crack on each 6' section of the enclosure which leave the 4' section and about 1' of the 6' section as a seperate entity from the rest of the structure. I am guessing that the cement truck ran over the enclosure when it was delivering the cement to finish the basement floor thus causing the breakage.

I am concerned that these cracks can expand over time. There is rebar in the concrete. Is there anything that can be done to prevent continued movement of the 4' section? Thanks for any help. - Robert

Below, I kind of drew the situation using the computer. The parentisis are simulating the cracks.

! !

Reply to
Robert

I has a similar experience with cracks between a porch wall and the cellar wall. I am in sand so there hasn't been any heaving in the 29 years that the house has been here, but the cracks form a perfect, hidden path for termites. If your soil is stable you might not have structural issues

Reply to
TH