CRABGRASS has taken over

Page 2 of 2

Total nonsense. Weed and feed will do absolutely zippo to solve his crabgrass problem, because these are only effective against broadleaf weeds. Crabgrass is not a broadleaf weed.
As someone here also said, a preemergent is good, but the

Not only is it good, it's be easiest and most effective way of dealing with crabgrass.
With the weed and feed varieties, the drawback is that

You can't apply any herbicide every few days, whether it's a weed and feed product or not. And again weed and feed will not kill crabgrass. But the fertilizer in it will surely help it grow.

Given how late it is in the season, the best thing to do is just wait for it to die, which it will do by late next month. As someone else advised, if the grass has been heavily damaged and is sparse, then you should overseed, using a slice seeder to cut into what's there. If you need to seed, I'd wait till end of Sept, to time the seed germination with the approaching end of the crabgrass.

Have you thought of crabgrass killer? I am too lazy to go out back and check the bottle, but it is 4 letters starting with a M; not MSDS, but something like that. Works well and doesn't hurt the real grass. Put is on now, so hopefully you can get some grass seed down soon.
Crabgrass takes over a little strip at the road every few years, but this stuff does the trick.

Crabgrass killers are most effective when applied when the plants are still small. At this stage, it will take multiple applications. And I've never had much success with the typical post-emergence crabgrass products you find at the home or garden center. They typical take several applications to work, even on modest plants, and damage the turf in the process.
Acclaim is very effective and does not damage the turf. However, it is relatively expensive. If it was July or early Aug, I'd say use it. But given how late in the season it is, I would just let it die off naturally.

Agree...best bet would be to mow short and regularly the infested area using a bagger and dispose of the clippings to minimize seed production for next year, then go to the preemergent in the spring...

Then I must be hallucinating. But as long as I think it worked well, that is good enough for me!

Another approach that's cheaper than the granular preemergents if have access to it (may take knowing somebody w/ an applicator's license or a farmer depending on your locale) is a _very_ early spring application of Atrazine -- it is a pre-emergent as well and will stop almost all early annual germinating. For bluegrass turf, etc., it will be ok if used very early (like February before it comes out of dormancy).

john246 wrote:

I bought, but haven't applied yet, something by Bayer that's supposed to kill weeds and crabgrass. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Lawn-Weed-Crabgrass-Killer /
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

This is not a good time to apply herbicides. Overseed your lawn now to reduce weeds/crabgrass next year. Do not use herbicides within 90 days of seeding.

In general, not true. There are many weeds that continue to grow all fall even into winter and continue to make the lawn a mess and they will still be there stronger than ever come Spring. Nothing wrong with treating weeds now, it isn't even Fall yet. And while most herbicides specify a min period until you can seed, it's typically around 30 days or so, not 90. Most effective is to use spot treatment, rather than a weed/feed type product.

Very true...particularly the dandy-lions are good to work on right now as they're in the process of taking up nutrients for the winter so herbicide effectiveness is good (assuming they're not heavily drought-stressed, they do need to be actively growing for best effectiveness)....