CPVC pipe, what is that?

Page 1 of 2
I am installing a new water heater in my garage. Code requires that the drain from the pressure relief valve to the outside of the house be "galvanized steel, or hard drawn copper pipe or CPVC". (They stopped allowing the drain to terminate on the garage floor.)
I am used to working with # 40 PVC irrigation pipe. What is this CPVC stuff? Does HD sell the pipe and also the fittings? Do I use regular PVC cement? I have to run about 5' vertical and 12' horizontal.
Should I stick to 3/4" sweated copper pipe, although copper is kind of expensive and harder to work with ?
Thanks for your help
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Clorinated Poly Vinyl Chloride. It has a higher melting point that PVC so it can be used for hot and cold water runs.
USES/APPLICATIONS CPVC piping which is suitable for hot and cold water distribution has a 400 psi pressure rating at room temperature, and a 100 psi pressure rating at 180 F.
Rich

HD sells the CPVC. It is similar to the pvc pipe and should be located close to it. It uses glue similar, but not the same as pvc.
Same glue works.

Much too broad a statement. SOME glues will work on both, some won't. Last can I bought (which is not that old) specifies "PVC Pipe Cement". It is 'Christy's "Red Hot Blue Glue"
If it doesn't say CPVC on the label, don't use if for that or you WILL have failed joints. I have been using both CPVC and PVC since 1976 so I do have experience reading both labels and 'home repair' articles.
Harry K
Well _I'VE_ NEVER personally seen a can of cement that did not include both pvc, cpvc, abs and all the others. Of course, i only use the name brand cements and not this off the wall stuff you mentioned....
Much too broad a statement. SOME glues will work on both, some won't. Last can I bought (which is not that old) specifies "PVC Pipe Cement". It is 'Christy's "Red Hot Blue Glue"
If it doesn't say CPVC on the label, don't use if for that or you WILL have failed joints. I have been using both CPVC and PVC since 1976 so I do have experience reading both labels and 'home repair' articles.
Harry K
I don't think Oatey is off the wall and they have several different types all listed on the cans.

My guess would be you haven't been reading the labels too carefully. *Most* PVC cements are *not* labelled for use with CPVC, let alone ABS. Look around the next time you're at Lowes or HD, and you'll see what I mean.
I stand as stated. All the oatey cements i looked at were good for all the items i mentioned. And i have been to Lowes and HD. I live there. I'm in the process of replumbing a house some dumass stole all the copper out of.

If you're willing to look at an attachment, I'll scan in a couple of can labels and you can see for yourself.

Send away. I don't really see the point however.

Of course not. You made an erronious post and now refuse to back down. You look at a few cans of ONE brand and apparently it was a very limited selection from that brand at that. There is proof all over the net and an honest look at the glue shelf in any decent hardware store will show that you are in error.
Harry K
Well, if there's no point, I guess I just misread your admonsion. I'll go on without you.
PLONK

I saw that "regular" one today at HD. Had to dig for it though.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:43:00 -0500, "S. Barker"

They also make a "heavy duty" PVC only in a black can. The main difference is it has a longer "open time" so you have time to goo up a big pipe, a fitting and get them all together before the cement skins. The opposite of that is the blue stuff (wet and dry) that sets up in a couple seconds. Guys who work with PVC a lot like it because you can turn the water on in a couple minutes but you can't screw around once you put the glue on the pipe. The swimming pool guys I see double team it when they are working 2" or 3" pipe. One guy glues and one handles the pipe.
On Jun 4, 9:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep, it is _fast_. After years of using the regular, I bought a can of the blue. Won't again. I have already had one joint failure in my irrigation line due to it.
Harry K

Odd. I had to get a bottle of wood glue. Hit the local lumberyard (only 2000 pop. here so stores are small), then the local ACE hardware. While there I checked the plastic cements. Both had a limited selection (about 2 doz cans total on the shelf). I had to do some digging to find the 'multi-use' cans in both stores. Really had to check labels before I found the one that was good for ABS, PVC and CPVC.
Harry K
S. Barker wrote:

Here's Oatley's information page about their plastic pipe cements:
www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroup/1/Regular+Cements+and+Primers.html
I see only two products approved for CPVC, their All Purpose Cement and their CPVC Medium Orange Cement. Please show us which of their cements with "PVC" in their names are recommended by Oatley for use on CPVC.
this one. http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/1/All+Purpose+Cement.html

Then you haven't seen many brands of it. BTW Christy is only one of the major manufacturers of it. They put out more different glues than just 'Red Hot Blue Glue'
Harry K