Cox Latest To Dump Free Usenet Access

Page 1 of 2

"Cox Communications is the latest carrier to inform their customers they're ditching free Usenet access as of June 30. From an e-mail to subscribers:"
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cox-Latest-To-Dump-Free-Usenet-Access-108010
Fiddley Dee :-/

ehh...never fear:
http://www.eternal-september.org /

Mission accomplished..
Oren wrote:

Just switched to them after my longtime usenet server (news.individual.net) started getting really flakey. So far I'm very happy with the service, and it's free!
Jon
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:17:09 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

free) and have never hand any issues with them. In fact, their customer service is superb.
says...

http://www.utterpants.co.uk/news/world/coxucker.html

AND ???
So stop using your ISP to access newsgroups and do it via Google Groups...
~~ Evan

Google Groups is horrid. Just get a good news service. Giganews, Eternal-September, etc. Low coast or free depending on your needs.
In wrote:

Jeeezz no! Just go to any of the other free newsgroup servers all over the place. The 'net is about the worst way there is to view newsgroups.
TWayne

Absolutely! Though I use GG from work because NNTP access is blocked. I'm even thinking about Go To My PC to access the Usenet via my home system. It's that bad.
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:36:16 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Have a look at this. The full version is free...
*TeamViewer - the All-In-One Solution for Remote Access and Support over the Internet
TeamViewer connects to any PC or server around the world within a few seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting right in front of it. Find out why more than 60 million users trust TeamViewer!
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
Oren wrote:

TeamViewer is very good, but has, for some, an important drawback: It's not free for commercial use.
A better choice is Mikogo: (www.mikogo.com) * Free for ANY use, * Active and server users can interchange control, * Up to eight viewers can connect simultaneously to facilitate training or demonstration, and, best of all, * Requires that the remote site install NOTHING on their computer! They simply access the Mikogo web site.
For our technical support, we ask our user to go to the Mikogo web site (using Internet Explorer, Firefox, whatever) and enter the nine-digit code we supply. PRESTO! We're in control of their computer. By entering a couple of commands, the remote user can even control OUR computer.

firewalls at each end, but worth a look.
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Evan

You really are joking, right?!
If I HAD to use Google for reading newsgroups, I would pull the power cord.....
Evan says...

After Attorney General Cuomo got RoadRunner and Verizon to drop their newsgroups, most of the other large ISPs have used that as an excuse to remove their newsgroup service.
Dedicated Usenet services do a better job of providing newsgroups than ISPs, and folks have already mentioned a few free & low cost options in this thread.
I use a paid service (NewsGuy) and with their current special if you buy any 1, 3, 6 or 12 month newsgroup account they will double your access time for free.
As an example if you get their 12 month Mini account for $19.95 (3GB month) you'll get another 12 months free. That's 24 months of newsgroup access for the cost of 12 months, which works out to about 83 cents a month. You can do other types of accounts and service lengths, so not limited to the Mini or 12 months.
Their accounts include NNTP & Web access, newsgroup search engine, free SSL encryption, unused capacity rolls over, text & binary groups, etc.
~R
60 GB newsgroup accounts - as low as $7.20 Month
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:09:26 -0700, David Nebenzahl

If you simply must, use Agent and a news server like giganews. My old agent 1.91 program runs as an EXE (as opposed to being "installed") so you can carry the whole thing on a thumb drive and run it on any machine you plug it into. When you pull out the thumb drive, nothing remains on their machine. It all goes with you.
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 02:17:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

*Welcome to the Forte Agent 1.5 release!...
Text file:
"Fort is pleased to introduce the new Free Agent and Agent T-Shirts. If you like the software, you'll love the shirts! These T-Shirts are currently available for an introductory price of just $14.95 (U.S.) plus shipping/handling. All T-Shirts are 100% pre-shrunk cotton"
v.1.5 IS the best ..
Oren wrote:

So? Dump Cox. There is no requirement that the folks who provide the wire have to also be your ISP. In our case, Comcast provides internet connection and Earthlink is our ISP. Earthlink provides, in turn, Giganews. Free.

Many locations have monopolies. Subscribers are screwed.

Comcast has no market footprint in Nevada and looking at their package prices, they cost the same as Cox.
Cox has a strangle hold in NV.