Covering Sewage w/lime

Hello,
Is there any difference between that huge, 50-lb bag of white, lime powder, and the Nutralime pellets of limestone that comes in a smallish 40lb bag for sprinkling on sewage spill?

Not positive, sure I will be corrected if wrong. YES.
The powder works quickly, the pellets which are agricultural lime take much longer to break down and do the job you need done.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

I don't know the chemical differences, but the pelletized lime normally says it works FASTER then the powdered.
On 2/21/2010 6:43 PM, harry wrote:

Lime is calcium oxide, slaked lime is calcium hydroxide and limestone is calcium carbonate. Not sure what difference it makes on sewage but pure lime is the strongest, that is, contains the highest concentration of alkali.

Hello,
So which one is the "Pure" : the Nutralime pellets, or the big, bag of white, dusty stuff? I used to be able to purchase bags of pellet lime (hydrated lime) that were white, but havenot seen them for 30 years . . . they were more expensive than the dusty powder. I wish they would bring back the pellets of the white (allso "hydrated lime"), because itis a lot erasier to work with than that dusty mess.
On 2/22/2010 9:17 AM, harry wrote:

I see Nutralime is calcium carbonate. I've only done my lawn and use calcium carbonate pellets because they are cheap and not dusty. I suspect this product is more expensive than usual. Never having used lime on sewage, I'm not sure if you need the stronger lime or slaked lime.
Frank wrote:

Yes, I'm thinking green instead of brown. ;-) I used powdered on sewage once and it seemed to knock out the odor instantly. I guess that's a vote for the cheap powdered stuff.

Ditto. Had a neighbor who cleaned a mess of fish and threw the scraps behind the fence adjacent to my property. The smell was terrible the next day. I threw white powdered lime on it and the smell was mostly gone within an hour or two.
KC
Frank wrote:

I remember someone bringing "hydrated lime" for use in a poop can on a river trip once, if that helps.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:43:48 -0800 (PST), harry

The powder is faster acting. Whether that makes any difference is for you to decide. If not, buy the lower cost-per-pound product.

The point of the lime is to COVER UP the sewage and BLOCK the smell.
Powdered product will be much more effective than pellets. You will need a LOT more pellets to create an airtight cap.