Covering over a spryaed acoustical ceiling. Anyone done it?

I want to revamp a room in which has a sprayed acoustical ceiling. I do not want to remove it since it has been painted over and since the house was built in "75" it has a good chance of containing asbestos. I would like to have it covered over with sheetrock or have it covered with either panels or decorative metal/non-metal tiles. Has anyone covered over their "popcorn" ceiling instead of having it removed? Any suggestions? Thanks.