Covering floorboards

Want to cover my very uneven floorboards, couple of questions. what thickness ply should I use ?, and do I need to pad out the uneveness with some underlay to stop the ply bouncing, and third - do I need an expansion gap around the the ply next to the wall ? thanks
On Feb 1, 6:00 am, " snipped-for-privacy@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk"

What are you putting on the newly levelled floor? Carpet? Vinyl tile? Pergo? All have different requirements. IMO, best way to deal with the floor is rent a sander, get it as flat as you can, glue down a low cost luann plywood for carpet, a stout 1/2" or better plywood for tile and same for engineered wood. Before sanding flat, nail down the floor boards to the joists with ring shank nails. Expansion gaps are based on material...follow directions. HTH
Joe