Covering Ceiling Insulation

I closed in an out building on my property that was once used as a garage. I'm going to start using it as a shop. I insulated the walls and the ceiling and covered the walls with a washable wallboard. I don't want to go to the expense and time of covering the pitched ceiling with board or making a drop ceiling, but I'd like to cover the paper backing of the insulation.

I'm considering covering it with the plastic/paper wrap that's used to wrap houses. It is inexpensive, would be easy to work with and would add some protection and cleanability.

Will this work or do you have some better ideas?

Willi

Reply to
Willi

First, I don't like the idea of leaving the ceiling without wall board. You could install drywall up there and just leave it unfinished. That wouldn't be much trouble. Having said that:

The paper that is there now will serve as a vapor barrier and could be left the way it is. I have seen unmotivated people do it. Another barrier is not a bad idea however. Polyethelyene plastic can be used whether or not you choose to install drywall and will prevent bits of insulation from drifting into the space. It is a fire hazard to leave either paper or plastic exposed like that. You have been warned.

Reply to
Lawrence

Drywall is a pretty inexpensive material and there won't be any fire/flame spread issues.

Reply to
George

It's also a bitch to use on a 12 foot ceiling.

Willi

Reply to
Willi

Life is a bitch, dude. Just rent a lift to get those sheets up there. It's no big deal. That drywall lift is on wheels and it will hold the sheet in perfect position while you screw it down.

Reply to
Lawrence

Not really, just rent a drywall lift.

Reply to