Covering a Semi-Circular Driveway Ideas Sought

I'm looking for clever suggestions/pointers/plans/images to help me construct covered parking on my small driveway for two cars. The driveway is a small semi-circle (center half-circle island is about 20 feet across (10-12' radius), and the outer edge is about 48 feet across (24" radius), with a 12' wide gravel driveway.

It's uncovered, and we've always done reasonably well shade-wise (this is Arizona, where shading cars in summer sun is important) with two trees that hang over the driveway. But we've had a huge increase in pigeon populations, they land in the trees, and cover the cars with droppings.

I know I can try to chase off the pigeons, but the task at hand is a design for covering at least the two ends of the driveway (where we park, with a car length and a half in the middle which is usually empty). I can do it with a rectangular roof on posts, but I was wondering if anyone has seen (or has) a curved-roof cover.

Suggestions of any sort welcome!

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Any local commercial awning or carport company can fix you right up, but it won't be cheap. Posts around the edges, and a fabric or metal curved roof (to shed leaves) over arched support members. Downside is any interior framework will be a magnet for pigeons to roost in, and such structures are ultra-vulnerable to wind events. We lost several dozen such things around town here just a week ago, along with an estimated

2500 trees.
Reply to
aemeijers

Andrew Barss wrote the following:

I've never seen a curved roof, but you can construct a kinda circular roof like 3 parts of an octagon shape using straight sections.

Reply to
willshak

Well, a grain bin roof would be one thought. The panels are wider at the bottom of the roof than at the top. No points for purty though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Adding to the good advice here, if you come up with something rather elaborate, don't forget to run the idea past the lads at City Hall in case there are some ordinances or permits needed.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

: I've never seen a curved roof, but you can construct a kinda circular : roof like 3 parts of an octagon shape using straight sections.

I was thinking of using metal roofing, but getting it cut and joined in anything other than straight joints is going to be a hassle. Probably have to go with OSB and rubberized roofing.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

: Any local commercial awning or carport company can fix you right up, but : it won't be cheap. Posts around the edges, and a fabric or metal curved : roof (to shed leaves) over arched support members. Downside is any : interior framework will be a magnet for pigeons to roost in, and such : structures are ultra-vulnerable to wind events. We lost several dozen : such things around town here just a week ago, along with an estimated : 2500 trees.

I'd worry about fabric, both from wind damage and sun exposure. I was thinking metal, but any DIY system is going to be pretty squarish. It may not matter on such a small area, but was hoping to find something more attractive and interesting.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Birds in the trees or birds in the covering, pick your poop...er...poison.

If you don't wish to do away with the root cause of the problem - the trees - then I'd say you have to do away with the birds.

Building them a structure to live in/on is not going to solve your poop problem. In fact, it may make it worse.

That's the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

they have tensioned triangular shade screen covers, which also come in different N sided polygons. supported by posts driven deep and concreted in. you can get standard ones at costco. a custom shade company can make them for you in almost any shape.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
chaniarts

How about the octagon type of roof framing and then tongue and groove wood boards (PT or sealed of course). I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing than a metal roof.

Reply to
willshak

Has anybody put any thought into how you're going to drive the cars through this tight tunnel you're creating?

Right now, the cars are presumably "swinging wide" and hanging parts out over the lawn to make the circle. If you line the driveway with posts, that is no longer possible.

Reply to
mkirsch1

That depends upon the radius of the curve and the width of the 'tunnel'.

Reply to
willshak

Am I the only one who thinks that the birds are going to welcome these structures with open arms...err...wings and happily crap all over whatever is parked underneath?

I really don't see them sitting up in the trees saying "Hey! Where'd the cars go? Damn, nothing to poop on now."

Unless the OP finds a way to make the underside of the structures completely un-roostable, he won't solve the bird-poop problem by simply building a cover over his cars. In fact, he'll probably make it worse.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It might not be that tough. A circular roof such as on a grain bin is self supporting once it's together. There is no need for underside supports. The big bins have external roof stiffeners to help support the roof. They are unroostable. There are a couple round houses in my area. I wonder how the roofs on them are built. Both have conventional shingles if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

: they have tensioned triangular shade screen covers, which also come in : different N sided polygons. supported by posts driven deep and concreted in. : you can get standard ones at costco. a custom shade company can make them : for you in almost any shape.

Thanks for the tip. I looked on Costco's website and didn't se anything under "shade", "car", or "triangle". Any idea what Cosctco calls these?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

they're called shade sails. i'm not sure costco carries them everywhere or all the time. i've seen them only very occasionally there.

chaniarts

Reply to
amyharris54