Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Page 1 of 2
Re: Cover for AC Condensing Unit
Hi,
I have new HVAC in my home. It includes a new outside (Condensing) Unit. The old one rusted to hell-and-gone due to exposure to sun, etc.
I'd like to build/make a cover to protect it from the elements in the off-season (winter).
Unit is about 25 x 27 " (rectangular top), about 24 " hi. Would be nice if covered to bottom, but I'd settle for a cover over the top 12 " of the unit.
I am drawing a blank on what materials to use.
Anybody invented/tested this wheel?
Thanks, Puddin'
how old was the one you replaced? newer ones dont appear to rust.
covering it might make it worse creating a mini moisture cycle with no airflow under your cover:(

21 years.

They look about the same to me. Painted steel.

Yes, 100% coverage could defeat the purpose.
I definitely want to keep crud out of the top of the unit. With 60-80% coverage, there would be sufficient ventilation.
Puddin'
I've been using one from this company for several years with no problems. http://www.sugarhouseawning.com/coolers_index.php?src=google&kw=air_conditioner_cover
Puddin' Man wrote:

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the unit and hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock or a concrete block.

Yeah but we dont all live in a trailer.

Put a fucking tarp over it then, and secure it with bungees....
Fucking idiot, apparently doesnt realize 1/2 the country operates their condensor in reverse mode as heat pump much of the season with no ill effect.
Wind, snow...ice--friggin husky weewee, even
--
SVL

I have a brand new Rheem 13 SEER condensing unit. Would you please explain how to run it in "reverse mode"? That must be an undocumented feature.
(Speaking of f*ucking idiots...) <pbbbbbfffffttttttt!>
--
:\
JR

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:23:55 -0600, Jim Redelfs

Turn the unit around and then flip it over.

Suggest buy one that has the "optional reversing valve" preinstalled--then you can just operate it year round......
--
SVL

Bubba wrote:

That's true, but from what I've seen of what you post in other groups, I suspect you might....

==========================Well I sure as the devil do not either... BUT that is how I protect my outside unit....
Only attempting to keep out leaves and allow air to circulate.. Both my sons are in the heating and a/c business they both told me that 99 percent of the units they see with rust problems are the ones whixch are covered ...
I use a pretty "rock" to hold the plywiid down ...lol
Bob G.

That cinches it: I'm not going to cover my new unit, either.
I am replacing a 1991 WattGobbler<tm> condensing unit that has NEVER been covered - and it has never missed a beat OR rusted.
Convince me that there exists a viable and CONVENIENT way to keep out cottonwood tree "cotton" and I'll consider it.
--
:)
JR

Chainsaw......
--
SVL

Hehehe! Nice try but NO cigar, Slick. :)
I specified (and emphasized) "convenient".
An army of chain-saw-wielding maniacs, given a few months, might make a minor DENT in the cottonwood tree population nearby, but not enough to help free my A.C. fins from clogging.
Cottonwood is indigenous to this area. Those that live to be >150-years old grow HUGE enough that professionals use a CRANE to fell them. It is the unfortunate property owner indeed that must pay THOUSANDS of $$ to have a big one removed. Most are on public property, along creek beds and floodways.
Every few years, when there is a particularly big "cotton" release, it can appear as though it has SNOWED - in July.
--
:)
JR

Actually, I'm located in the columbia river basin, and so there's quite a few em here too..but for some reason, they really don't present much of a problem with our heat pumps.
Maybe its the high humidity causes them to deteriorate rapidly or something.
<shrug>
--
SVL

12 inches vertically out of 24. You don't think that will cut down the efficiency of the AC? And waste electricity?

just as cars in many parts of the country used to rust bad and rot away by being only 6 or 7 years old, and today seemingly go forever if not scratched or dented the same thing has occured to other exposed steeel devices.
The steel is better quality, and galavanized and protected better. all this euuals little rust.
I would leave it uncovered, just placing anyting on top of the unit then weighted down may lead to small scratches, turning into rust later. wind can cause vibration leading to scratching the finish. baked on enamel paints are so much better today too.
but hey if covering makes you happy go for it!
Puddin,
If you remove the condenser's cover every few years,clean and paint it then it won't rust. This is routine maintenance. Putting a structure over the condenser just creates another structure that requires routine maintenance.
Dave M.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:56:00 GMT, "David Martel"

This is pert near what I tried with the old one.
It didn't work. Rusted a bunch. Surface prep was a severe PITA. Rust would bleed back thru after painting.

It can, yes. but it can also preserve the unit. You wouldn't think it in MO, but the sun out there deteriorates most anything muy pronto.
What I'd like is to find good cheap material, make one. If it's trashed in, say, 5 years, pitch it and make another. Etc, etc.
So far the only candidates are awning grade canvas and plywood.
I might consider maybe something like phenolic if it wasn't so expensive.
Puddin'