countertop suggestions

appliances

this is why i posted this topic....i've been away from construction and the service end of home improvements for a while now and never heard of concrete counter tops. it could be an option if i liked the results.

mike...........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Check the two books and the how to DVD video by Fu-Tung Cheng on concrete countertops:

He also have hands on classes in the Bay Area, but not sure its available in other parts of the country. You could go wild with the colors, forms and inlays.

Reply to
# Fred #

This is available in the US too. I came across an installer who was in to do an estimate for granite, and we ended up picking this; we got the pattern that has cooper flakes. It is beautiful, the only artificial stone I saw that is more beautiful than any natural granite. We also got the full backsplash in the same material. With the cost saved over a good granite installer, I got an overhang on one side (C-shaped counter) to use as a bar. The installer removed the existing Formica-top on that leg, and fabricated another top with 2 particle board layers. Then the whole thing was covered in the stone. Not quite the usual countertop process.

Reply to
Nexus7

We looked at all the different surfaces. Each has it's good points and bad points. While we were making up our mind I bought a maple work bench top from Grainger so we could use the kitchen. I put several coats of poly on it and we are still using it 4 years later. I laid up one of my own for the other side after I saw it in place. We do look a little commercial since the sink top, cooktop surround and backsplash up to the uppers is stainless but we cook here. It is not a "walk through" kitchen. I haven't been able to hurt the maple. I did have some left over to make a couple decent cutting boards tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

I spec'd on in a custom house a couple of years ago, and depending on the level of finish expected, it can require a very experienced artisan, like the guy who did this one:

I haven't gotten around to taking some pix but it's quite pretty.

If rough, blotchy and stained is ok, then a DIY project it could be.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

God made Granite... (pretty much) everything else is man-made. That says it all for me... we chose Verde Peacock granite (see pic I found on a web page)...

That looks just like mine, and my wife and I just love it. Had it now for about 15 months, and the only reactions we get from everyone is raw envy. I don't ususlly cut on it, but I have, and I sure don't baby it. I don't see any stains or cuts or scratches anywhere. At 3 cm, it sure would take a heavy pot to crack it. We have the typical 15 year old 10ft by 10ft "U" shaped kitchen, and we found a slab at the granite distributor that was able to be cut so that there were no seams in either (long) side where it goes in an "L" shape with a diagonal corner to accommodate the corner cabinets. Just a tiny little seam where the built in range goes (behind the range near the blackspash. We also got full backsplashes out of that single granite slab... Yes, it's a dark color, but with built-in under-counter halogen lights, it's beautiful. I'd do exactly the same thing again in a heartbeat...

One tip... BEFORE you go to Home Depot and request a quote, find out who THEIR supplier is, and go directly to them. If you wait until after the HD quote, they won't be able to help you because of their partnership with HD... the HD markup adds a lot. Our supplier was in the same (big) shopping area near St. Louis.. just a little shop, but they run a big warehouse about 15 miles away where a zillion big granite slabs are stored with overhead crane arrangement so they can move them around. We went out and picked out the exact slab that we wanted. They came out and measured after we had the new cabinets in, and then went back and cut everything. Only the faucet hole was cut on site. One backsplash had to be polished on the end to make it fit, but other than being a dusty operation out in the garage, it was fine. It took three BIG husky guys to carry in the largest "L" side. We used black hair-line grout on the little seams behind the range, and a couple of vetical seams in the backsplash. Can't see them unless you know where to look. And they are THIN. Another advantage... it's so dense that the maytag diswasher is VERY quiet. yes, we got one with sound in mind, but it was the only appliance we kept from our old kitchen since it was only a couple of years old, and it's much quieter now than it was under our old builder's grade formica countertop.

We got a black sink make out of ground granite (can't remember the name of it), and had it mounted UNDER the granite, so you don't see any seam. I'll tell you, I LOVE that black sink. Nothing scratches it, and unlike white or other light colors, scraping a utensil or pot against it does absolutely nothing to it. We just clean it ever once in a while because we know it HAS to get dirty, but it sure never looks that way.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I recommend granite.

Steve Henderson

Reply to
Steve Henderson

Big understatement.

Good advice all around Steve.

I'd skip HD all together, actually. Just go to a home show in the area. Ask everyone selling granite "Who does your fabricating? Where do you get your slabs?" At a home show I went to recently, there were

12 folks selling granite, 2 were fabricators. The other 10 companies contracted to those 2 fabricators for thier fab work!

Also ask if they do their cuts in a fabrication facility, or on-site. Go with the folks working at the fab.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

| > I have used it in the US | > it is crap! | | Why do you install crap? | Professionals don't install crap. | | thetiler |

I installed it because "thetiler" said it was great stuff. little did he know ................and still knows.

Reply to
the sagacious dolt

Better yet just check the yellow pages. There are lots of small fabricators around.

We've had granite for over five years and we absolutely love it.

I did find out the hard way that it is not impervious to citric acid. Somehow a piece of lime ended up behind the toaster oven and probably sat there for a week before it was discovered during routine cleaning. It actually etched the surface of the granite. Other than that, we've spilled all kinds of things on the counters, placed hot pots and pans on them, and abused them in many other ways. They still look as good as the day they were installed. There are no scratch marks, pitting, dulling or any other defects. And they're very easy to clean.

Reply to
John Reddy

forget a granite slab install granite tile for a countertop it is less expensive and I need some work all the damn mexicans keep stealing my work because they keep under bidding my estimates if there is anyone who can help with my financial situation please contact me asap. I can be contacted though email I am in south west florida

Reply to
thetiler

yes you are but you are correct this time sauce is stones worst enemy and the larger the specs, the easier it chips your not so dumb for an ass!

Reply to
thetiler

My old boss (owner of the business) never did any real work. He comes in to check on us and read the newspaper or run around to bid on new jobs. He doesn't work more than two hours a day, if at that.

So learn some Spanish and hire them as your employee or subcontractors. I'll bet you get more projects that way not to mention more profit and less grunt work.

Reply to
# Fred #

i just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and info on this topic.....i appreciate all the time people put into their responses.

mike.............

Reply to
JerseyMike

"# Fred #" wrote in news:INidndbsRuGyfCnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Don't you think creating those bids takes some "real work"? And getting all the permits,arranging inspections,doing the financial work,etc? Besides fronting the money for materials and your paychecks.

Maybe that's why he owns the business and is the employer(the BOSS).

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What was important to me was a seamless look and feel. I didn't want any seams, backsplash, sink, or anywhere that I could see or feel.

So I went with a man-made material from Formica (another poly-bullshit whatever with a free sink). So yes, Formica does make a seamless product (or did 18 months ago)

Extremely happy with the look, color, and FEEL of the material and have no complaints after 18 months.

So forget the "seal / no seal", "hard / not so hard", "cut / nocut" issues (who ruins a perfectly good knife cutting on a rock?); find a material that gives you the look you want with the maintenance you're willing to do

Reply to
Magenta

Wives and kids.

Reply to
gfretwell

I wouldn't hire anyone who posts that he needs "financial help" in an internet forum. Maybe if you spent more time on your jobs and less in here complaining about losing work, you might get more business. ;-) Just a thought.

Then again, I'm not working, I'm complaining about the complainer. Just tired of hearing about all the "mexican's taking our jobs" Home Depot and Lowe's are doing the same thing, but if you want service, you may have to go to a ma and pa shop.

Judging by your attitude, that might be part of your issue with Hispanics... I've seen your posts, you seem to think you know everything. As a homeowner, I know how I want it to be, and by God, I'm paying you to do it. Just assuming that you're a know-it-all in real life, hopefully I'm wrong.

Jason "the idiot" Valley Center, KS

Reply to
kellyj00