countertop suggestions

Page 2 of 3

Ceramic for rentals are ok especially you could really dress it up on the back splashes. I'm beginning to put 3/4" solid granite sheets on my rentals as a follow landlord turn me on to it a few years ago. I didn't understand why she put new oak cabinets and solid granite tops for her rentals until she told me it only cost her $4,000 installed. That was about three years ago.

Concrete countertops are nice!

Can you believe the post about how his wife doesn't like seams? What, Formica comes in endless sheets now with no seams?
Anyhoo, my point .........
Downsides to granite ...............
Yeah, you have to seal it every six to twelves months, amounts to wetting a rag and wiping down the whole thing. But some people don't like doing that just like they don't like taking a cleaner once a year and cleaning up all the Jello and mustard and gravy that builds up.
It stains. Well, you could barf on mine, and with that pattern, you would have to look for it. ;-) When we got it, I tested it with vinegar and ketchup and mustard, and all sorts of things, and couldn't get it to discolor. Now after two years old, we have yet to leave anything on it that ever left a mark.
Jealousy. People come in and rave and rave about how beautiful it is. I know they're just jealous. ;-)
Hey, people. Buy what you like. Buy junk and be doing the same job over in five years, or live with a crappy unhealthy countertop. I would do granite again in a second, and am looking forward to doing it in a remodel of a house we just bought in Utah.
If you don't like granite, you've just never had it.
Steve
|| | It stains. Well, you could barf on mine, and with that pattern, you would | have to look for it. ;-) When we got it, I tested it with vinegar and | ketchup and mustard, and all sorts of things, and couldn't get it to | discolor. Now after two years old, we have yet to leave anything on it that | ever left a mark. | | try tomato sauce now ...........theres a stain.
when choosing granite picking the right slab makes all the difference in the world tiny multi colored granites are the best the ones with large muti colored spots seem to chip easier.
the "smart ass"
||| || It stains. Well, you could barf on mine, and with that pattern, you | would || have to look for it. ;-) When we got it, I tested it with vinegar | and || ketchup and mustard, and all sorts of things, and couldn't get it to || discolor. Now after two years old, we have yet to leave anything on | it that || ever left a mark. || || | try tomato sauce | now ...........theres a stain. | | when choosing granite | picking the right slab makes all the difference in the world | tiny multi colored granites are the best | the ones with large muti colored spots seem to chip easier. | | the "smart ass" |
yes you are but you are correct this time sauce is stones worst enemy and the larger the specs, the easier it chips your not so dumb for an ass!
writes:

Corian can be installed with no seams. Granite cannot unless you have the right layout.

What's the objection to seams? If they're done right, they're hardly noticeable, and if you get someone who knows what they're doing, you can get long runs with no seams.
Steve
What was important to me was a seamless look and feel. I didn't want any seams, backsplash, sink, or anywhere that I could see or feel.
So I went with a man-made material from Formica (another poly-bullshit whatever with a free sink). So yes, Formica does make a seamless product (or did 18 months ago)
Extremely happy with the look, color, and FEEL of the material and have no complaints after 18 months.
So forget the "seal / no seal", "hard / not so hard", "cut / nocut" issues (who ruins a perfectly good knife cutting on a rock?); find a material that gives you the look you want with the maintenance you're willing to do
On 19 Jan 2007 17:39:29 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

Wives and kids.

over
in
is
now
i've heard that and small cut marks can be fine sanded out w/ no noticable distortions. am i misinformed?? my mind is NOT set on Corian i'm just using it as an example of the type of surface i'm looking for.
mike............

Concrete is the latest top material.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Point is, don't make any marks in your countertop in the first place. Whether Corian, granite, or laminates, yes, scratches can be sanded smooth. But you've seen old countertops where this was done. Dull in spots, and in some spots worn down to the next layer of color.
I don't cut on my granite that often. I respect it. And why cut on something you've spent thousands of dollars on? Get a cutting board! But every once in a while it happens on purpose by accident. I can't find any scratches in mine, and I know I'd have some by now on Corian or laminate.
Sure, you can sand, but you're just wearing away countertop and making it dull.
Steve

The other problem with granite or the other stone materials is they are too hard. If you knock over a glass it is a goner. That may be OK in a house without kids but kids knock things over, drop things, run into things and generally do what you tell them not to.
| | i've heard that and small cut marks can be fine sanded out w/ no noticable | distortions. am i misinformed??
that is correct corian can always be fixed with no signs of repair can't do that with granite.
my mind is NOT set on Corian i'm just | using it as an example of the type of surface i'm looking for. | | mike............
the best of both worlds would be AVONITE | |

Light colors of corian do not show scratches but dark colors can. Visit Lowes or Home Depot and bring a key...
Try
http://www.granite-transformations.co.uk /

Main Man wrote:

Nice looking material. Similar material to Silstone, I think. I'll look into it for my new kitchen. TB
| Try | | http://www.granite-transformations.co.uk /
ITS THE uk who cares
the only thing that ever came from the uk that was worth watching was United Kingdom!

We also use this countertop process in the US as well.
| > | Try | > | | > | http://www.granite-transformations.co.uk / | > | > ITS THE uk | > who cares | > | | We also use this countertop process in the US as well.
I have used it in the US it is crap! | |
the sagacious dolt {Kitchens Etc}wrote:

Why do you install crap? Professionals don't install crap.
thetiler