Counterfeit (Fake) batteries?

I bought package of 4 AA Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries the other day on eBay. Exp. date was like 2025. First time trying Ultimate model. I always used Lithium batteries in my weather station outdoor. Usually lasts way more than a year but this ones failed in two weeks. I could hardly measured voltages when I took them out. First thought was they must be fake ones (maybe from China). Back with advanced model. Interesting to note from CR, they rated advanced ones ahead of ultimate ones which costs few bucks more per package.
On 9/18/2015 3:14 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Maybe try some genuine Panasonic Eneloops from Amazon?
amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3HCCA4BA-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSL28
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 12:15:26 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've heard of Duracells being counterfeited in recent years.

Many years ago I heard that Sony in the UK had found that they had fake audio cassettes in their own inventory -- perhaps someone had bought genuine ones then returned fakes for credit.
Perce