Counter depth

Hi, My wife and I are planning to remodel our kitchen to the point of tearing everything out to the studs. We want to replace our refrigerator with one that is counter depth. We were thinking of a GE Arctica model that has a depth of 28 5/16. Is this considered counter depth? Thanks.

Check out these forums for VERY good info on remodeling and appliances:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl /
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath /
Arnold H. Hollander wrote:

Depends. How deep are your counters? Most are 24-25".

A typical base cabinet is 24 inches deep. A typical top is 25 inches deep. Please note these are typical. If you add an appliance garage at the back of the counter, 12 or 18 inches can be divided. You can gain 2 inches by turning the studs behind the refrigerator sideways. A 25 inch counter + 2 inches of stud space = 27 inches.
Tom Baker
Be sure that when you make the refrigerator "counter depth," rather than slightly proud of the counter, that the door will still open more than 90 degrees. Will you be able to remove shelves, crisper drawers, etc.?
RB