Could it be asbestos?

Hi,
I've opened up the ceiling in the addition to my house that was built in the 1970's or 80's. It is right under the roof and it contains insulation which looks like very old fiberglass insulation - that nasty allergenic stuff between to sheets of paper. It's old and disgusting, but my concern is - could it be asbestos? Was asbestos ever used in this way? (I know that it was used for insulating pipes but was it also used for insulating walls and ceilings in this way?
Thanks!
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

Not that I'm aware of--if it's the black-paper-covered stuff, in all likelihood it's "rock wool"...wear ordinary dusk/particulate protection when handling it, of course.
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:30:32 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude

Could be. The only way to safely know for sure is to call in a asbestos abatement company to have a look at it.
Caesar Romano wrote:

You do that and even if it isn't they will tell you it is and charge you up the ass. This asbestos abatement cleanup is a scam. They take it to an ordinary landfill and dump it.
If you want to get rid of it use a good mask and wet it with a sprayer, add a little dish soap as a wetting agent. Wetting it will keep the dust to a minimum.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Right. And anyone who worries about asbestos deserves to be scammed. Don't fight their paranoia, feed it. It's way more fun.
The LAST thing you want to do is call in an asbestoes abatement company! You'll be sorry you were born if you do that. Good gawd! I can't believe these 'the sky is falling' people.
If it looks like fiberglass, then that's what it is. Asbestoes does not look like fiberglass.

Aaron Fude wrote:

Why do you care?
If you need to replace it, remove it and replace with the insulation of your choosing.
If you don't need to remove it, leave it alone.
Commercial asbestos never hurt anyone.

OK, I'm happy to dismiss it. I'm not really into fads. Speaking of fads, should I be worried about Radon measuring 8 in my basement?
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude

Yes, call a radon abatement company to check it out. Is it a very old house? If so, think of how many people who lived there have died. They probably all died from asbestos, radon and global warming.
Radon and asbestos are deadly. The government says so. They wouldn't lie to you, so you can trust them.
Caesar Romano wrote:

Yes they would. I'll never forgive them for lying about silicone breast implants.
All the joy that never was...