Couch Problem

My elderly in-laws have a couch that allows you to sink deeply into it when you sit. Because of their physical infirmities, standing is difficult. The frame of the couch is in tact. None of the frame is broken or drooping. The cushions look fine, but I'm sure they have lost some of their support. My theory is that the springs supporting the seat cushions are worn.

Assuming that my theory is correct, does it make sense to try to get the springs replaced? Is there a snowball's chance that a furniture repair person or an upholsterer would be able to replace the springs? The sofa is not a sleeper version. It's just a sofa.

The couch is in great condition otherwise, and the in-laws are not amenable to buying new furniture. Any thoughts?

Reply to
mcp6453

Possibly depending, but...just guessing it could easily be the price of a new, better-suited couch and less satisfactory.

The general need is for things to not be as low for older folks as is ok for younger.

--

Reply to
dpb

My last experience with upholsterers convinced me that the next time, I'll buy new for less.

Is there any way you might be able to set the couch on 4X4s or even 6X6s without it looking really strange? You could probably build a frame quick and dirty, then staple some material or carpet to it to conceal it.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

50 years ago, such rebuild work was routine. You can still get it done, if you can find somebody. Prepare to be shocked by the price, however. It is artisan work. You are likely to spend as much as on a new cheap couch. Are the cushions foam/batting only, or do they have springs in them as well? (Some high-line couches basically had little mattresses for the seat cushions.) I'd have the repair place look at the cushions as well, and clean the whole thing while they are at it. (Even in a non-smoking house, couches are still a magnet for dust and cooking fumes.)

All of the above is shop work, by the way. Around here, the repair places do not pick up and deliver. So figure that into your calculations as well, unless the company you find offers that as an optional extra.

Reply to
aemeijers

Some upholstered furniture has webbing across the bottom that supports the springs...if the webbing rots or tears, the springs will sag. Looking at the underside will tell you whether this is happening. If you remove the dust cover from the underside, you can tell what kind of springs are in it...older furn. prob. has coil springs, newer stuff might have zig-zag springs.

Most decent upholstered furniture can have springs replaced, but it would probably be almost as costly as purchasing something new. I can think of two things that might solve the problem a bit more simply...first would be to get a piece of plywood cut that can be placed under the cushions, resting on the frame. Second would be to replace the stuffing of the cushions with firm foam.

Reply to
norminn

"mcp6453" wrote

Leave this one alone or ask a question. I have a sofa just like this. It's also the only spot I can *sleep* with no pain. Your inlaws would not automatically mention that it needs to be just as it is because 'x' has (insert back or hip issues) that make it perfect. It may be as simple as the back or hip issues are eased when sitting in it as it is and the discomfort of rising is acceptable because it fits so well when seated. If either fits, your interference will be understood if gently mentioned as in 'would you like' and not at ALL appreciated if 'assumed they want a swap when they do NOT.

Reply to
cshenk

Springs break. Springs come loose. That's about all that can happen to them.

If the couch was made in the last 50 years or so and is not super high end the springs are most likely zigger wire ("no sag"). They attach to clips at the front and back of the frame, the clips can come loose. They can be fixed but not without taking the upholstery loose. Those springs are attached so there is a camber.

The other method is coil springs on a web foundation. The webbing is usually jute, jute can rot. The individual springs are tied one to another so they work in unison. The tying can break. Both those can be fixed as well, should be able to do so from the bottom after removing the cambric. I doubt they have coil springs though. ______________

Easy fix - one I used to do frequently when photographing families at home - is to put pieces of plywood under the cushions. For them, I would suggest

1/2 or 3/4. The couch won't be all squishy soft (better, IMO) but will still be comfortable and they won't sink in much.
Reply to
dadiOH

There are still some upholstery shops that can fix things like that. One thing you can try as a temporary measure it to put a piece of plywood under the cushions. I did that on a sofa that sagged on us. My long term solution was to buy a better quality piece though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I completely agree with this post. I especially encourage you to try the

or even just on the springs. If it works you can then pick up some drapery lining at a fabric store and cover the board to reduce the chance of splinters in the fingers.

We currently have such a board under a two cushion couch to improve the sitting of the middle seat and make it more comfortable for lying on.

Reply to
Colbyt

Second that. Older folks, myself included, find arising from ordinary furniture more of a chore than when younger.

Simply adding four inches to the furniture's height is all that's needed to make it adequate.

Reply to
HeyBub

The level of the cushions is one issue, but if the springs allow one to sink in too far, it is another issue. The cushions at the proper level might be fine, but the springs making the person sitting sink in too far. Cushions may be at right level but if too soft, require more effort to stand up.

Reply to
norminn

I had some friends who put the couch on 4 x 4, and it was much easier to get in and out.

Might also be able to brace some plywood under the cushions. Screwed to the couch, or make a platform from the floor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll add my voice to those saying plywood and firm cushions. Most sofas are far softer than most people have any need for -- it's sort of a contest for who can provide the most travel in the springs and cushions regardless of whether it's useful. My favorite sofas are made to begin with using solid foam cushions over wood slats or solid wood. My butt provides ample additional padding if needed.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Lift the sofa cushions. Some thin plywood (3/8) under the cushion will give support if affixed properly.

An upholstery will cost you some dollars, even if you change the couch springs.

Springs stretch. I sat once on a unit, the person, when I mentioned broken springs, said .... but it "looks good"!

Reply to
Oren

OR buy some longer legs.

Reply to
EXT

The only springs I have ever seen break are no-sags(sinuous wire) and old copper coils used in antiques.

There are clips made that allow you to repair no-sags from the bottom

I'd like to see someone retie coil springs from the bottom. It can't be done properly, if at all

Reply to
ChairMan

New is complete junk, is disposable and is not worth reupholstering. Like the old saying goes, " You get what you pay for"

Reply to
ChairMan

In news:qbGdnU5T15tYx4PRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, mcp6453 spewed forth:

The springs probably need to be retied, which cannot be done properly without recovering the sofa. That is if it is coil springs and not no-sags(zig zag), I doubt seriously that the springs need to be replaced. I've never seen a coil spring wear out, unless it was improperly installed and actually broke. As others have suggested your first bet is to try a piece of plywood over the deck under the cushions and raise the base. Secondly, I would try a firmer core in the cushions. If it's a quality piece, it would be worth it to fix it.

Reply to
ChairMan

Thanks for the excellent comments and suggestions everyone. We are going to try our luck at getting them to replace the couch. It will be an uphill battle, so if that doesn't pan out, we'll try the plywood.

Reply to
mcp6453

"mcp6453" wrote

MCP, I'm serious. Ask them *why* they do not want to replace it first.

I'd be really royally pissed if some well meaning relative came in and insisted on putting plywood on mine so it no longer dipped just right for my back needs. In fact I'd stop them unless they snuck in and did it 'as a suprise favor' in which case I'd be changing all locks then praying we could fix it back.

If the only reason they havent adapted it is financial solvency, they may appreciate your help. If it's some other reason, you tred dangerous ground if you do not ask them 'why'.

Reply to
cshenk