Costs of roof repairs

Page 2 of 2
On Mar 9, 2:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try www.therooftech.com
I've not ever heard of roofing being priced, bid, or done by the sheet. By the square (100 square feet) is normal. You may need to replace several sheets of decking. I've never heard of particle board of any type used on a roof. OSB (oriented strand board) that is 7/16 thick is quite common.
You never said what size the house is, but 25 square would handle many small subdivision houses. 7 are hurt? That's a third to fourth of the roof, that is a bit beyond a patch.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

When I had my roof replaced, I kept getting bids because every salesman said my roof had one layer on it and was between 30 and 34 squares. Not one of them walked the roof.
I took the first bid some someon who walked the roof, knew it was 26 squares, and it needed to be vented. Bids ranged from $4,800 to $11,000. The guy who knew what he was doing was the low bid - but I had figured it should cost around $5,500.
Salesmen are not roofers.
Dick
"Dick Adams" wrote

Grin, we used the one who 'cost the least' and was a bar buddy, but the reason why he cost the least was because we contracted several things with him at the same time. Siding, garage door, etc. Package deal.
As an update, I've received and approved an estimate from a reputable roofing company in my area for the repair of the roof.
What was found: The only damage is to the edges of the roof on the two sides and the front. The damage only goes 3 feet in. The remainder of the roof is very solid and in no need of repair or replacement. The damage was caused by improperly installed flashing in these areas. The flashing wasn't sealed to the shingles and allowed rain intrusion that in turn rotted the wood on the edges.
What will be done: The plywood will be replaced 3 feet in from the edge of both sides and the front. The flashing will be replaced and sealed properly as well. The fascia will be replaced in these areas. Where the metal porch overhang meets the wood house, they are installing a foam barrier that is made for that application.
Total cost of job $2,000
5 year guarantee on all work.
I'm very happy with this.
Thank you all for your input and advice.
"Merlin" < wrote

I'm happy you found a good company! Price seems lower than I would have thought. Are they redoing all the tiles too? Or did you luck up and have only 1 layer so they can add another this time?
How many layers is allowed varies by area due to weather differences. It's 2 max where I am. When I had mine redone, I already had 2 so had to have the old removed then replaced.
The really bad one across and down a bit from me just got finished. 45,000$. Man is he sorry he didnt do it 7 years ago when it was just a few plywood bits and no rafter damage. Another one near it is now having the same job we had done. Gonna run him about 6,000$ but he has 2 gables and stuff like that. Not as much wood needing replacement but some.

The roofer said that the shingles are in great shape and that the 3 layers of them can be reused with no problems. They will reattach them after replacing the wood. Only two layers are allowed on new installations now, but if reused, he'll be able to use all 3 layers without problems.
It's the slow season for roofing in Northern Florida right now, so maybe that's reflected in the price.
The roofer said they will be in and out in one day. He says this is a pretty small job for a roofer.
"Merlin" wrote:

I'd be slightly worried at reusing any but with 3 layers, perhaps it is possible to get 2 workbale ones left. He may have to spot piece some new material there but if it's a close match, it may not be that obvious.

Good! Our job was bigger but done in time so we look great now. I shudder at what some of the other houses on my block are paying due to delay.

Just an update on the repairs.
They did the job in one long day from 8am to 10pm, Wednesday.
The work was exceptionally well done and will resolve all the problems.
The total final price was $1,700 USD.
I'm very, very happy with the work.
They ended up using brand new tiles around the 3 foot strip on the two sides and front, but the manner they used to interweave them with the old made a very nice looking pattern. I'm proud of them for doing such a good job at such a reasonable price.
NO MORE LEAKS !!!!

good for you. Reasonable price for that amount of work, best part is that it works.