Costs for spray foam

I got prices for spray foam and batt insulation. Very expensive to go with spray foam. For a garage that is 30' wide and 25' deep and 14' high I got a price of $1100 plus tax, plus costs for vapour barrier afterwards. For batt insulation $700 and that's vapour barrier included ! In short it's twice the amount for spray foam.

Huge cost difference

Reply to
Section 31

Did they provide estimates of the resulting "R" value for each option? While foam maybe more $ (and for a garage not needed) it should provide a tighter seal, better R value and a continuous vapor barrier as opposed to the batts with a vapor barrier open at each stud.

Secti> I got prices for spray foam and batt insulation. Very expensive to go

Reply to
Howard

closed cell foam is its own vapor barrier, so no additional one is needed.

spray foam fills cracks and voids way better than fiberglass batts, has higher r value too per inch

Reply to
hallerb

Hi, Better sound deadener as well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Depending upon the formula, spray foam is also less toxic, both in terms of the material itself, and in terms of the lessor potential problem for mold. Foam also blocks insect entry better, and won't sag.

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
bob kater

spray closed cell foam at least twice the price but money well spent since its a better insulator and seals so much better too

Reply to
hallerb

And in many climates, R19 fiberglass will decay to R9 in just a few months to years. Any of humid micro climates in the USA has this problem so most of the southeast has far lower R values than they think. To some great degree, in these climates, you get what you pay for. Fiberglass and Cellulose are just poor products to use in these environments and we keep pouring in more good money for a product that keeps failing us.

Reply to
Robert Gammon