costco honda generator

Page 5 of 8
Steve Daniels wrote:
(...)

Oh sorry. This is 'Abuse'. 'Argument' is down the hall.
:)
--Winston
The hell! I paid for argument, and I'm not leaving until I get my money's worth! Now get that bloody snooty nose out of the air, and get about business, you worthless rag!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I used to live on a farm. We had a tank of gas (gasoline) for farm equipment next to a tank of gas (propane) for use in the house, It was confusing.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Obviously, we get by because we're not quite a "retarded" as some people...
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:32:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

That sounds silly. Of course I wasn't talking about the things themselves but the WORDS. Which one is the "gas tank"?
[improperly placed sig snipped]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

That's odd, because I have never heard anyone call say buy gas when they meant propane, they always said go buy gas (gasoline) or go buy propane. That way there never was any mix up between the two. Even though propane is a gas that's stored in liquid form.
Richard W.
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:49:31 +0100, in alt.energy.homepower, Eeyore

Gas is a state of matter; gasoline is a motor fuel. "Petrol", OTOH, is a goofy-sounding derivative of a word that can properly refer to any of hundreds of discrete distillates, and only means "gasoline" by dint of social convention. Just like "gas" in the US. And just as stupid.
For the most part I just say "we need more fuel", which is valid no matter the particulars of the car/truck/motorcycle/boat/airplane I'm in. But this is a result of conditioning from my dad being a truck [lorry] driver, and there was never a question that trucks use fuel, diesel fuel. Never gas. It stuck with me.

1. Most likely a vestige of our English heritage. Take a close look at the idiots and halfwits we left behind; coming from that kind of stock, is it any wonder? 2. You need to be more specific; America is a continent (actually a pair of them); "American" can cover everything from Aleut and Inuit to the Araucan and any number of Incan descendants, who all originated on other continents anyway. 3. Your mother.
On Jul 28, 2:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:

But you had the retard Bush! :-) And may yet have, (so I hear) the even greater retard Palin! How can you sleep at night with that possible scenario?
You are quite right about the dimwits over here. They are known collectively as "New Labour". We all came from Africa. Just some of us sooner than others.
Richard W. wrote:

My late father had an International TD9 that started on gasoline and then changed over to diesel, but my understanding is that it was simply because hand-cranking a diesel engine like that was impractical, not because it needed to warm up. The compression ratio was much lower when it was in gasoline mode, and cranking was far easier.
Perce

It was Massey Ferguson over here. A very small tractor. Harry Ferguson invented the three point linkage. With it, this tiny tractor could do the work of a much bigger tractor of the tiime. Only the early ones had it (around sixty years ago) Later ones had a diesel engine. There are still lots about working on farms. TVO is no longer available so they use heating oil now. Don't see how you can change the commpression ratio of an engine (except model aero engines) The engine had to be hot, the TVO needed the hot spot to vapourise it. (pre crossflow technology) Many early diesel engines could be hand cranked, they had a valve lifter, a little lever on the crank case (side valves) It held the exhaust valve open, you cranked like hell & then dropped the valves and it started (hopefully) They had big flywheels in those days, stored lots of energy.
harry wrote:

I'm talking about "over there": the UK. It was just plain Ferguson to start with, and Massey-Harris was a different make. Then they merged -- or M-H bought Ferguson. Maybe in the late 1950s.

I understand that the IH TD-x tractors/'dozers had an additional valve in each cylinder that opened to an "extension of the combustion chamber" (for want of a better term) in which the spark plugs were located, thus reducing the compression ratio; petrol/gasoline would have exploded rather than burned with a diesel-appropriate compression ratio. They had spark plugs, magneto and carburettor as well as injectors. There were two controls to effect the changeover, IIRC: one near the left front (perhaps to switch fuel supplies), plus a lever accessible from the driver's seat. Clouds of black smoke at the changeover.
Steered with two clutch levers and two brake pedals. Steering by clutch reversed when going downhill! I only ever drove one in a field, never on a road.
Perce

I have a Austin/Western Grader that has such an IH Engine in it. It is a Gasoline Engine on one side, (Carburetor, Distributer, Coil, and SparkPlugs) and a Diesel Engine on the other side> (Injection Pump, Injectors, etc) To Start it, You opened the Gasoline Fuel Valve, put the Change-Over Lever in Gasoline Mode, add about 1/2 Choke, and Crank. Starts within 25 seconds, even down at -15F. Once started, you slowly open the Choke, as the engine warms up, until it is wide open. Then wait 5 minutes for the block to warm. Once it is warm, you move the Fuel Rack of the Injection Pump from Cutoff, to Idle, and watch the resulting Black Smoke to turn to Dark Gray, and then move the Mode Lever, to Diesel. WollLa, you now burning Diesel, and you can turn off the Ignition System, and shut off the Gasoline Fuel Supply. Shutting down the engine is the above, in reverse. If you don't do the shutdown, via Burning Gasoline, you have a lot harder time getting the engine to Start, next time you want to run it.
--
Bruce in alaska
add <path> after <fast> to reply
Bruce in alaska wrote:

Was that maybe because if you shut it down on diesel, the cylinder and plugs and such would be coated in diesel and not fire well?
I remember a friend of my dad that had a tractor with three tanks. He had color-coded them, red for gas, green for diesel, and blue for water. ISTR when running on diesel it also used a bit of water in the cylinder. To help compression?
daestrom
In article

"DeCompression Lever" or "Compression Release Lever" ... Listers are famous for them....
--
Bruce in alaska
add <path> after <fast> to reply
harry wrote:

Yes, my late father had Fordson and Fordson Major tractors that were like that, but I don't recall the smelly exhaust. The Ferguson he had might have started off that way too, but he put a Perkins 3-cyl. diesel in it.
I am guessing that they were optimized for running on TVO. Apart from the greater cost of gasoline/petrol (even the red-dyed "commercial" petrol, when that was available), they might not have run as well on the latter.
Perce

Yup; my uncle, in the UK, had a Fordson tractor that started on petrol and then changed over to paraffin (With ignition not in diesel mode AFIK) in the 1940s. Also on one occasion, here in NA, my Briggs and Stratton gasoline/ petrol mower ran out of fuel. It was hot; so just for the heck of it I finished mowing using kerosene/paraffin. Also here to avoid waxing problems in storage cold climate and to avoid need to for separate storage tanks in small community fuel depots diesel and furnace oil were (and still are AFIK) the same product. Newfoundland Canada.
Richard W. wrote:

I believe the only difference is dye and taxes. The DOT is always after truck drivers using home heating oil to run their trucks because it doesn't have the road tax included in it's price.
TDD

I believe you're right on that. I met a survivalist once years ago. All his cars and trucks were diesel. He used home heating oil in everything. He claimed to have over 10,000 gallons stored up. Never bought fuel at the pump unless he was traveling. Every spring when the heating oil prices would go down, he filled up his tanks.
Richard W.