Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

Page 1 of 4
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214dce6542ae589dfc_1.jpg
What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:35:23 PM UTC-6, Francis C. wrote:

Put a couple of apples in with the bananas in the bag...will help somewhat.
Roy wrote:

Or avocados.

My experience with very green bananas.... they often "go bad" before they ripen.
The ripen process involves the release & the action of ethylene gas. I typically use a ripe banana to "force ripen" tomatoes.
You can do the same with bananas. Put the unripe bananas in a brown paper bad along with a ripe apple. The ethylene gas from the apple will help ripen the bananas.
The paper bag will help concentrate the ethylene gas but not retain moisture which would encourage the bananas to mold.
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

I've had a problem with bananas not ripening. Don't know why. Not Costco bananas though. Those things come loaded with so many fruit flies, I won't ever buy them again.

Overripe bananas are great for smoothies too.
Peel and freeze them if too many go bad before you can use them.

The trick is ethylene gas. Given off by (over)ripe fruit. Put your green bananas in a closed container with other over ripe fruit. The ethylene gas given off by the over ripe fruit will ripen your bananas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-ripened_fruits#Storage

I remember once reading that if bananas are ever ever allowed to go below 40°F, they will never ripen.
However, this article suggest even higher temperatures than 40°F can/will permanently stall ripening. See the 'ripening' heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana
Erik
Francis C. wrote:

I had immediately put a ripe banana and apple in the bags, leaving one bag as a control.
Here is the current result, after three days:

I'd say, so far, it's a failure; but maybe time will tell.
Francis C.wrote:

Can take a lot longer than three days... Costco doesn't grow bananas, they buy from the same wholesaler that all the other area stores buy from... the larger stores like Costco buy in large volume so get the freshest bananas... retail stores prefer to buy greener bananas... if they ripen too much before they can sell them they end up in the trash bin. Those plastic banana bags have large holes punched in them (I can see the holes in your photo), the ethylene gas produced by the apple and the bananas themselves is escaping... using those leaky bags is almost like using no bag at all. Bananas are purposely placed in ventilated bags so that they don't ripen too quickly, it's difficult to sell overly ripe bananas. The bananas in the bags with the apple do look slightly riper (more yellowish) than the bag with no apple all way to the right. If you're in a big hurry use bags that don't leak... but those bananas will ripen on their own if left out on the counter with no bag and with no help at all if you have patience... bananas are harvested very green so they can survive shipping, you obviously chose the the greenest of the green, was probably a just arrived shipment. Usually the produce manager will put the older/riper bananas out first but often in stores that sell bananas cheap they sell too fast for much in-store ripening. Btw, most folks complain that bananas ripen too fast, consider yourself fortunate.
BIG SNIP

have large holes punched in them (I can see the holes in your photo), the ethylene gas produced by the apple and the bananas themselves is escaping... using those leaky bags is almost like using no bag at all. Bananas are purposely placed in ventilated bags so that they don't ripen too quickly, it's difficult to sell overly ripe bananas. The bananas in the bags with the apple do look slightly riper (more yellowish) than the bag with no apple all way to the right. If you're in a big hurry use bags that don't leak... but those bananas will ripen on their own if left out on the counter with no bag and with no help at all if you have patience... bananas are harvested very green so they can survive shipping, you obviously chose the the greenest of the green, was probably a just arrived shipment.<<
+1 ...I missed the holes in the plastic bags, good catch.
DD_BobK wrote:

I will switch to clear un-holed plastic bags.
This isn't the first time I've had the Costco bananas not ripen, but, maybe I just didn't wait long enough.
There was no way NOT to get green bananas, as that's all they had when I bought them. Must have been a fresh shipment.

If you want to extend the experiment, keep a bag with holes
& switch to plastic bag w/o holes but..... my experience that I shared was with a paper bag (specifically size 8, oversized lunch bag)
plastic w/o holes may be too mositure tight, rot before ripen?
DD_BobK wrote:

Ah, makes sense.
Since I have 4 bags of bananas, I'll do this: 1. Control (unopened plastic bag) 2. Apple with bananas (paper bag) 3. Banana with bananas (paper bag) 4. Apple with bananas (plastic bag)
On 3/28/2013 9:57 AM, Francis C. wrote:

I look forward to the results!
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
James Silverton wrote:

Bummer. I don't have any small paper bags. So, I just left them (since Sunday) in the plastic bags. Here's the result, Friday morning:

On 3/29/2013 12:43 PM, Francis C. wrote:

The ones on the left look most promising but even I, who don't like really ripe bananas, think they have a way to go. My ideal, naturally ripened, banana has a clear yellow skin with, at most, a few brown spots. Many people would not consider my favorites really ripe but I like them sweet with a slight sub-acid taste.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
James Silverton wrote:

Interestingly, look at the difference a day makes!
Here's the same set Friday evening:

Both apples came from the same batch, but one is really working those bananas, while the other must be working for the DMV.
Meanwhile, the control is still as green as my lawn, almost a week after buying them from Costco!
On 3/30/2013 1:19 AM, Francis C. wrote:

Yes, now we have to figure out what was different about the apples.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 08:33:01 -0400, James Silverton

If the apples were waxed they won't release much ethylene.