Cost to replace front door

I want to replace the front door in my 1978 split level. I've measured the old and purchased a new, prehung, steel door which is now in my shed.

Here's my question -- any idea what it should cost to get someone out here to remove the old and replace it with the new? I'm going to get quotes, but I'm curious as to what people think a reasonable ballpark price would be.

The house has 2 x 6 construction and appears to be fairly "normal" - so I'm assuming (hoping) there won't be any surprises.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Gold

Id be concerned of the carpenters competance. You need it done right.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I'd guess around $150. I would not mind paying that for an experienced carpenter, but I'd do it myself.

Reply to
Phisherman

Home Depot charges $250 includes delivery and haul away. The contractor gets $185.00 so I guess if you already have the door (with correct width jambs I hope) and you are doing the debris disposal than $150.00 is about right. Your problem is going to be, trying to get someone to estimate such a small job.

Reply to
calhoun

Whereabouts? I just looked into getting this done on my house. I got quoted $499 not including the door by Home Depot in Leominster, MA. I had 2 quotes done by local contractors who both came in at $400 including the door.

Reply to
Mark